Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Number of modes of 3D model

Status
Not open for further replies.

easap

Civil/Environmental
Jul 21, 2013
DK
Hi,

I am performing a model analysis using eigenvectors.

I have a 3D structure that has all translational and rotational dof's active which requires over 90 modes to obtain a mass participation ratio of 90% in all translational directions. The structure is inclined, which means that non-lateral movement has UX and UZ components, which slows down the process of obtaining a satisfactory mass participation ratio. Further, I have many modes in a row which contribute with practically zero to the response because only a very small part of the structure is moving.

Does anyone know a trick to eliminate these insignificant modes from the eigen modal analysis? I see that advanced load parameters can be specified but I don't know if this might help me somehow..

Modal%20Load%20Case%20Data.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also, I can't find any information on the frequency shift, cutoff frequency and convergence tolerance - maybe they can help me get rid of the modes that do not contribute?

Don't tweak the advanced load parameters. Try to use Ritz vectors instead. In the Loads applied boxes, include the accelerations along the relevant directions and you'll reduce the computing time and the zero-mass modes significantly.

Check the following link for reference:

and the following eng-tips discussion:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back