Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NVH in automobiles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a website which has significant information on NVH in automobiles, or even someone who can supply me with information regarding this topic? Thanks a heap!

JT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

J.T.

There is a company that makes a automotive NVH analyzer. It's known as Vetronix Corp., and it is based in Santa Barbara, California. There product is called MTS 4100 NVH Analyzer. You can reach them at 1-800-321-4889.

RogerC1894@aol.com

Noise, Vibration and Harshness.

It's a very old and honourable automotive acronym, but a bit odd, since we can measure noise, and vibration, but not harshness.

There is a psychoacoustic measure called harshness but it doesn't correlate with 'real world' everyday noises that would be described as harsh

Cheers

Greg Locock

Greg:
Tell the "old guard" to change "harshness" to HANDLING.
It would make more sense to the modern automobiles being produced worldwide. Just think of the neat testing you could do.
On that subject, how is ya'lls new chassis coming along. Never see anything on the telly??? Our new Lincoln LS is great @ 10,000 miles (the Continental tires are just so-so).

Rod

Actaully we work very closely with the R&H guys, often sharing protos, so that we don't waste time bringing two cars to the same spec.

As to current progress: I'd lose my job if I told you and 'they' found out. Honest. You might want to check out some spy stuff at the Nurburgring published last month or this month.

You won't see our car in the US media, unless they think it's a Jag, which is what happened with the current model!

The only tyre manufacturer I've ever come across with a believable scientific/engineering approach is Michelin. Other people like Yokohama make nicer street stickies, but for an all round tyre I buy Michelins.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Evelrod,
In at least one US manufacturer, the "H" has been changed from "harshness" to "handling". Somebody a few years back had the same thought as you!

and Greg--I've gotten the same impression as you from Michelin. Unfortunately for the rest of us, they are (wisely) very limited on just what they will share with others. They are acknowledged by people who know more than me about the subject as being the "best" in the actual "numbers" engineering approach (as opposed to "my butt likes this one better").
Brad

Yes. I used to be (eight years ago) the tyre design engineer here, which gave me access to a lot of manufacturing specs and so on. Without giving anything significant away, Michelin demonstrably had a better handle on their build process than our other suppliers. Their tyre evaluation methods are also the most rigorous, and their tyre models, used in handling and noise simulations, are usually available six months ahead of anyone elses, for a new tyre. This is not to say that other people don't make good tyres, it's just that on average Michelin know a little more about what is going on.

I would add some provisos to all this. Tyres ain't tyres. Local plants may supply you with a tyre that is called a model XYZA, which got rave reviews on another continent, but it may just be an old tyre carcase with the new tread, in the old compound, or it may be something completely different. Also the rights to some manufacturers names are held by other companies, in some countries. Also (3) there's a nice market in second hand assembly plant, so the tyre you buy from a third world plant is probably built on a one generation old assembly line, even if it is a premium brand. Cheers

Greg Locock

Which begs the question: how do I know my Goodyear Ice tyres really are Goodyear Ice tyres. An especially important question to me, since my Miata is in need of some good all-season rubber

Oh, and please don't ask why I would want ice tyres for a Miata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back