Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

nVidia Driver and Novell

Status
Not open for further replies.

adicm

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2003
MX
This is just in case that somebody have this problem.

We use Dell workstations with nVidia Quadro4 900 and a Novell network. We use to have a problem when starting solidworks: It just freeze in the startup window and never loads. Whe had to unplug the LAN cable, start solidworws, and plug again the LAN, in this way, SW works fine. I discovered that it was caused by the drivers of the nVidia. Yesterday, I update the driver to 8x.xx and I start to have the problem (some worksations have it a lot time ago) I reinstal a 2x.xx driver and the problem gone. So, If somebody have this kind of problems, check the drivers of the nVidia and try to install an older version.

If somebody can tell me what is the most actual driver that works with this configuration, I'll thank you a lot.

Regards

Adi Corrales Magallanes
Centro de Ingenieria y Desarrollo Industrial
Queretaro, Mexico

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Novel & non-windows networks have not been tested & are not recommended for use with SolidWorks.

The Quadro4 900 card has been tested & is certified for use with SolidWorks 2004-06 using Win2K & WinXP.
You should not be using the 8xxx driver. The highest level driver SW has certified is the 7184.

So, the problem is propbably caused by the Novel network, not the nVidia card.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Yes, I'm prety sure that the problem is Novell. I just wonder if somebody else use novell and a Quadro4. I don't want to test all drivers I can get by myself in order to get the latest version that work with both. We can't change the network just because some of us use solidworks...

Actually the problem is solved. I just want to share my experience because I can't found and exact solution in the forums. I never tougth that the video drivers cause that, with the LAN connected, SW just don't start...

Thanks anyway....

Adi Corrales Magallanes
Centro de Ingenieria y Desarrollo Industrial
Queretaro, Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back