Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX-10 doesn't want to launch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisHadfield

Aerospace
Dec 17, 2013
CA
Hi everyone,

My working pc recently got NX-10 working with a licence server from our company in an other country.

We got NX working on my Window 10 for one day. Since then, when I try to launch the software, nothing happens.

I know that the license server work since we can ping the server and everything work on the server/license side.

We already have java 7u51 so it's not the problem.

When I open the license PLM Software Licensing Tool, there is an infinite loading of the environment information and I can't see the License Server working.

Please, if anyone have a clue, it would be very appreciated.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agree with joycejo, that you should contact GTAC.

I'll take a guess that a firewall is your issue, but if NX can't get a license, it should bring up a message saying that, so it could be another reason.
Disable any firewalls, on server & client and test. If that works, take a look at as it explains how to setup to use NX when firewalls are enabled.

Otherwise, type %temp% in the Windows Explorer address bar and press enter. This will take you to your temp folder.
The NX log files start with your username and the extension is .syslog.
Look at the most recent one with a text editor and have a look through, it may give a clue as to why it's not working.

If you do log to GTAC, then they'll most likely ask for the log file as well.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX3 to NX11 with almost every MR (24versions)

"My working pc recently got NX-10 working with a licence server from our company in an other country. "

Unless you have a specific license I don't think this is legal, to use a license from another country

John Joyce
Manufacturing Engineer
Senior Aerospace CT
NX 10 & 11.0.1 Vericut 8.0.3

Thank you for your responses,

@joycejo, it is indeed a specific license. We got a partnership with Siemens Germany and Canada (I work for Rheinmetall).

The thing is that my It guy, which is completely new to Siemens NX and Gtac, doesn't have any clue about the problem. I'm just trying to help him figuring out what's happening.

@PhoeNX, I also thought it was a firewall issue, and I tried with it disabled, and it doesn't do differently. After looking at the .syslog file, there is not much, but it ends with these lines:

Machine supports 8TB address space
Running customer environment
Session is running in codeset 1252 17
Successfully loaded dynamic module C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 10.0\UGII\ugxml.dll
UGXML is using 'UTF-8' as the local code page

I really can't see what's going on there.

If you have anything to suggest me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

If it's only that far into the log, it's at the point of trying to get a license.
What doesn't make sense is the working then not working. Some change must have occurred.
Also the fact that the licensing tool is unable to get a license points to a license issue of some kid.

However you should get an error message if NX doesn't get a license, not sure why you're not (unless you haven't mentioned it).

NX10 will look to one of two locations to get a license, either Windows Environment Variables or the Windows Registry.
NX10 s the first release that can use the registry and if it is set, it takes precedence of a variable setting.

Using the registry editor, go to the key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Siemens_PLM_Software\Common_Licensing

If there's a NX_SERVER set, make sure it's set to the right license server (e.g 28000@yourservername where yourservername is the substituted for your actual license server).

In the windows environment variables, Windows Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings (Upper left) -> Environment Variables.
Look for SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER in the system enviroment variables. It should be set with a value 28000@yourservername (same as above applies in regards to the server name).

If that doesn't help, contact GTAC, and you will need a Webkey Account & current maintenance to do so.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

Not to butt in, but if you do figure out what ends up being the problem, please post the solution when/if you find it in case others run into the same issue.

Thanks.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

This is also bugging me as it was working pretty well thursday of last week, then the next morning, nothing appears.

My environment variable is supposed to be set properly: SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER = 28000@my_first_server,28000@my_second_server,28000@my_third_server

I've looked in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Siemens_PLM_Software\Common_Licensing and there was no NX_SERVER key. There was just a NX_BUNDLES key set to SC13500,UG13500.
I've created one NX_SERVER set to my license server (not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do) and it doesn't help either.

Then I've compared two different .syslog The one of last week (working one) and the other which is not working. I've only changed confidential informations.

Good .syslog :

Memory :- 32621Mb
Total Swap :- 37485Mb
Free Swap :- 27849Mb

************** Licensing Information **************

Server ID : xxxxxxx - my company
Webkey Access Code : XXXXXXXX
License File Issuer : SIEMENS
Flex Daemon Version : 11.10
Vendor Daemon Version String : 6.4
Toolkit Version : 6.4.2.1

************** Bundle Information **************

Number of bundles in use : 2
Bundle [ 0 ] : SC13500
Bundle [ 1 ] : UG13500

And the other one (not working)

Memory :- 32621Mb
Total Swap :- 37485Mb
Free Swap :- 33757Mb
Successfully loaded dynamic module C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 10.0\UGII\ugxml.dll
UGXML is using 'UTF-8' as the local code page

Thank you for your help.

Make sure that any firewall is disabled (on server and client) especially any add on firewalls like Norton, AVG, Mcafee.
My guess is that something like that has either blocked the license from getting through or has stopped one of the NX files from working as it should.

One other thing to try is to delete the followng key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions\NX\10.0

It's where NX stores the settings to do with size & position of windows etc. Don't think it's the cause but it doesn't hurt to clear that out.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

I have seen this happening before. Just can't remember what the cause was...
Try to adress just one licenserver in your environment variable SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER. If that works then at least you have something to start from.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX11 / TC11

I'm in contact with GTAC. They made me do the Telnet server test for all three servers. They are all up and running perfectly.
I will wait for further responses, but they seem to say that it really is a network administration issue.
I will definitely post next developments here to help anyone who would have this same issue.

Thank you again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back