Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nx 10 thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manifolddesigner

Automotive
Apr 29, 2009
US
I'm a cad admin for our company currently running nx 8.5 and teamcenter.
Just looking for thoughts on upgrading to NX10 especially wrt stability. Anybody with experience have any thoughts? I'm quite familiar w/ NX9 so I understand the interface will be different.

Jason

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Would b great to understand more than usage in automotive. There are many things that are different in regards to large assembly and drafting. Stability is relative to many things. Basic native usage is no problem in NX10 and two monitors with large assemblies >~20000 parts with old data will give some challenges. Also the MR and MP in question will have affect. There are also some display driver /interesting visualization issues depending on hardware and MR/MP versions. These are not critical but with 150 users 5% report some issues, repeatable or not but regardless. But depends on what you do and if you use Teamcenter and which version. We tested NX9 and NX10 and Now are running production TC10.1 and NX10 with 150 users globally on all continents. Not completely without problems. Some serious ones also. Siemens and a local partner have had these problems mostly taken care of. Some swiftly but some still hanging for next MR that came today. Have not tested this yet. Since this is a NX forum I have to point out that standalone NX10 works usually relatively well in most use cases.

We use most of modeling features, extensively sheetmetal, do large assemblies to >100K occurrency assemblies with lots of legacy data. My summarry would be that upgrading to NX10 will give different benefits depending on which is the interest area and how much you are willing to put effort in upgrading. Drafting benefits alone plus 2D synchronous are well worth the effort.

If you are working with TCintegration this will need more testing compared to NX9. Depend on how and if that is used. Attribute mapping could give some supprises... We had some weird old mappings that did not translate well. Worked in Nx9 but not in NX10.

With 150 global users I would say go for NX10. Will give you more that it will take. But it will always take more than admins are willing to admit...

NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back