Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 11 determining Center of Gravity of an assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisbruce

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2013
US
This is something that from time to time we are asked to provide. Is there a way to determine center of gravity on an assembly?

NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP4, Rev D
Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon CPU E5-2640 v3 @ 2.60GHz,
64GB DDR4 SDRAM
8GB nVidia Quadro M40000

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use the analysis -> measure bodies command. Assuming the proper material has been assigned to each part and all the assembly components are loaded, rectangle select around the assembly and press OK. The COG of the assembly will be reported along with several other properties.

www.nxjournaling.com

Hi -

Yeahh - what Cowski mention is the way to do the job....
Can also be automated...
I have for a few weeks ago, created a small custom tool, which collect all solid bodies from an assembly(with respect to their position)...
Then by using functions from MeasureBodyBuilder Class it is quite easy to extract the center of gravity ,and output to listing window...or an spreadsheet if necessary...

regards lklo

@cowski - Ok. We use the GM toolkit program "Stock Size" to assign the material attributes. I tried this and I see that I must select Associative under Associative and checking, this activates the "Create principal Axes" box. And now I can save that point. Great. Thanks guys.

NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP4, Rev D
Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon CPU E5-2640 v3 @ 2.60GHz,
64GB DDR4 SDRAM
8GB nVidia Quadro M40000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back