NX 12, top level components not following lower level assembly arrangement. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOPdesigner

Mechanical
Nov 15, 2005
US
Hi,
I have an assembly. Three levels. Lowest level is a piano hinge (two components, each hinge half). I have an arrangement in this assembly "hinge open" and "hinge closed". Next assembly level up is an enclosure sub assembly. A box with a lid, joined by the hinge. At this level, I can change the assembly arrangement of the hinge and the lid follows as it should. Now, the top level assembly has items attached to the lid, a glass window and sealing gaskets etc. At this level, when I change the assembly arrangement of the hinge, two levels down, the glass and gaskets etc. remain in place and their constraints break. These components should remain attached to the door and move with it. Any ideas why this wouldn't be happening?

Thanks,
Joseph

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Arrangements are controlled from the top down, not the bottom up. For example, make an arrangement at the top level "lid_open" and turn on the desired arrangements in the sub assemblies. Now when you switch to "lid_open" in the top assembly, the lower ones will switch also.

www.nxjournaling.com

So you are saying that my top level arrangement drives lower level arrangement? I don't see in the documentation how that works. Anyways, after studying it further, I had some improper constraints, so I got it working now from the bottom up, at least for now. Now the issue I have is with this door support between the enclosure and lid that keeps the door open. It is a pin in slot type of device. If I switch arrangements so the door is open, and then switch back, the solution it finds maintains the constraint of the pin touching the slot but it is outside, or opposite the slot.
lid_open_vfiz9u.png
closed_enrfop.png

Ok, I think you have convinced me. Now the problem is when I try to apply it to the top level (level 0), I can't seem to move the individual components down in level 2 in my new arrangement. Even when the selection scope is set at "Entire Assembly". The move command only wants to select the components directly under level 0. Just like the first bullet item you pasted. I have a sub-assembly of the box (sheet metal parts only) for the fabrication of the box. Then I have a assembly level above that (shown above) where the glass window etc are added to the box, this is the next level assembly operation in a different work center in our plant. Then at the top level, I will have hardware stuffed into the box.

Create a "closed" arrangement in the top assembly, now make the subassembly the work part and create a "closed" arrangement there. Repeat with an "open" arrangement. When you switch from open to closed at the main assembly level, the subassembly will change its used arrangement to follow suit. If you need to position an individual component of a lower subassembly at the top level, use position override.

www.nxjournaling.com

No, the names do not link the arrangements. When you set the used arrangement in the sub-assembly, it will be remembered in the current top level arrangement. In the future, when you switch to that same top level arrangement, the sub-assembly arrangement should follow.

In your file, you have changed the top level assembly arrangement to "door open 90"; now change the used sub-assembly arrangement to "door open 90". Now change the top level assembly back to the default arrangement and note what happens to the sub-assembly. Change the top level back to "door open 90", the sub-assembly should also change to "door open 90".

www.nxjournaling.com

Another way of using arrangement without to clone it to different levels is to use component override feature and top level arrangement.

Super awesome thanks. I think I have got it now. Have to focus hard on which constraints you need to make arrangement specific and which components to override the position on. Now if only my splines in the top level assembly (cables) would move properly too. I suppose with true electrical routing elements they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back