Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 4 Vs. Solid Edge V19

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreskralj

Industrial
May 22, 2007
AR
Could somebody please explain the difference between what one or the other does? I mean Solid edge can model, asemble, animate and be adapted for a CAM software... NX 4 does the same thing and what more?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks like this thread took a dangerous hard left turn and started spiraling out of control! Don't get a CAD Jockey started talking about his favorite ride. Each CAD system has strengths and weaknesses. Each will do something the others won't. I "grew up" on UG from version 13. I have had some difficulty learning how to deal with some of the newer NX4 type functions, etc. just because I have "old UG" mentality. I have found SolidWorks fairly easy to learn and intuitive. Pro/E Wildfire isn't too bad to learn. CATIA V5 is easier to run than its "old version" and will out perform its old version. Just because it is "all new" or rewritten does not make it better or worse than others that have been around forever.

As for CAD systems actually "talking" to each other and being able to count on the CAD companies to solve the interoperability problem for you, you are dreaming!!! Think about it, when they allow another to read their file format, they have solved one of the bariers for the other CAD to get their customers to change. "Not a problem, we can open their file, your legacy data is not a problem". This means a potential loss of revenue and market share. If they do by some magic agreement allow others to read their file format, what happens to the features and geometry that they can not re-create?? CATIA V5 can not consistently recreate V4 models with (or without) all the features. They just leave out the stuff they can not re-create! UGNX can not consistently recreate Ideas models with (or without) features. These companies own the source code for their respective parent CAD systems! One CAD system "reading" a foreign model will always be a Brep or a Brep with some sort of feature recognition off of the Brep import. Even the idea of a 100% automatic history tree translation is a pipe dream.

No CAD system is "the best" for all situations. Find one that best fits your needs both price and funtionality. Why buy a Fararri when you never drive on the freeway?

Bart

NX has had the capability of pulling on surfaces for years under the Edit Surface toolbar (Edit Surface Poles or even Points), not just when Shape Studio added X-Form to its command list. However, the methods for changing continuity after pulling on the surface were pretty clunky.

NX Freeform is Ruled, Through Curves (skinning and/or lofting), Through Curve Mesh (net of curves), N-Sided Surface (for filling in areas), Section, Swept, Bridge (a type of fill or transition between 2 or more sheets) along with more tools for specific scenarios (flanges, ribbons, transitions, extensions and quilts). This comes with MOST bundles for any type of modeling.

Shape Studio, which is more along the lines of something to compete with Alias and the like, adds Swoop (define and shape a surface in one command), 4 Point Surface, Studio Surface (a type of Sweep that can use 1 guide and 1 section or you can go up to a mesh of curves and assign up to G2 continuity), Styled Sweep, a powerful editing tool called X-Form for shaping a surface, Transform Surface, Deform Sheet (twist, bend and skew with sliders), Match Edge (for matching continuities up to G3), Snip Surface (a permanent Trim that cannot be Untrimmed), Refit Face for editing surface degree and patches, Pole Smoothing for editing a surface, Curve on Surface, Styled Blend (up to G3 continuity), Styled Corner (complex ball-end or set back corners up to G3) and Shape by Template for shaping splines to a template spline. This module is an add-on and wasn't that expensive the last I checked...well under $10,0000 for the above, and I believe included Analyze Shape and Visualize Shape.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back