Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 6 available for download from the GTAC Product Download site

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRBaker

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
Note that NX 6 is available for download from the GTAC Product Download site. Note that after downloading, you will need to contact your CSR to get an up-to-date license file for NX6, but it available for download today and we've already started to get comments that people are downloading it and they are getting the updated license files, so the system works.

BTW, even if you don't actually complete the installation, once you have the files you can open the DVD installer and there will be options there where you can open such documents as the install guide, the release notes and perhaps of more interest, the 'What's New' guide for NX 6.

Anyway, have fun ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John,

I had to say that if nothing else you can read a calendar! [wink]

Cheers

Hudson

P.S. It looks like I may be offsite for a while and will likely have to wait a little longer to try it out. In the meantime I look forward to seeing this post fill with hopefully positive comments [smile].

Got NX6 downloaded (over 3 hours @ ~100 KB/s; another 1.5 to 2 hrs for the documentation) and got my license from my CSR.

Something is up with the License Options. No bundles available for selection, but NX6 still works fine for me.

Test drove the new True Shading and that's really really nice.

More to come later.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Got the 32bit version downloaded, haven't installed it yet. Problem downloading the 64bit version; GTAC is supposed to be looking into it. Unfortunate, because our production machines are 64bit, and we're eager to get our hands on it.

Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare. - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Full screen mode is nice too. Wish I had Vista installed so I could see how the toolbars become transparent.

ewh,

Don't forget that this is the first version using the CID and new port number for the license server changed from 27000 to 28000 (in case you're running more than 1 major version of NX).

If you're unable to get your bundle to show up in the License Options, don't worry about it, just bring up lmtools and make sure you can re-read your license file...if that works, NX6 should work. I had to edit a system environment variable (Right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Environment Variables -> System Variables) for the correct port number. It was still 27000, changed to 28000 and working fine.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Thanks for the heads up, Tim. We're having trouble even getting it downloaded. According to our IT manger, it (the 64bit version) isn't on the ftp site, and the http site times out. That is why GTAC is involved. I'm sure that won't be the only reason, though.;|

Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare. - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

ewh,

I see the 64 bit zip file on there today and it's dated 28JUN08 on the server. See the attached screen capture below...look at the list on the right if the text comes through in the image for you.

Are you using a browswer or FTP client to do the downloading? I quit using a browser and my speeds picked up a little more and the client supports resuming if the d/l gets interrupted for some reason.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

I handed this over to the IT manager to download (I'm juggling too many things at the moment and this is not a hot one for us). He told me that it was not appearing on the ftp client site and that he was working with GTAC on it. So, at this point, I really don't know what is happening with it, but I have faith that we will get it straightened out soon.

Hmmmm...my screen capture was from the FTP site using a client software. Not sure why he isn't seeing it because it's there when I log in.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Apparently the GTAC servers are overloaded because I can't even get into the download area. Oh well I guess I'll just wait for the DVD to show up in the mail.

Pinto,

It might not be GTAC...it could be that your IP is not matching with what your Customer Service Rep has on his end. In order to download full product releases, your IP has to match with what Siemens has on file. Product updates do not require this.

Call GTAC and have them find out who your CSR is, then you can contact the CSR and get the IP entry changed on Siemens' end.

My IP used to change all the time when I opened up a browser here at work, so I feel your pain.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Update...
Our IT guy is still trying to download the 64bit software. He tells me that it is an 8-9 hour download and it keeps timing out (maybe its our "T1" line thats a problem). He has been in contact with with GTAC, and they told him that NX6 wouldn't be released until August, so no DVDs until then. They did not know about it's availability on the Product Download site, and told him that they would get back to him.
We haven't givin up, and the saga continues...

ewh,

I might be able to get it and put it on our FTP for you, if John Baker doesn't feel that would be crossing any legal boundaries.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

I appreciate the offer, Tim, but I doubt the IT guy would have much more luck with that than he's having now. It isn't so urgent that we can't wait awhile longer.

ewh,

The good news is that I've got the 64-bit version queued up in my FTP client and it's transferring without any timeouts after going for over 5 minutes.

The bad news is that it's going to take all day to download, probably due to traffic on their FTP. I'm only getting about 20 KB/s compared to over 100 KB/s 2 days ago. On top of that, my account here at work may disconnect me at midnight so I may have to resume the download tomorrow.

If you want to give this a shot, post back and let me know and I'll keep it going.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

I just downloaded and installed new NX6 from GTAC server, but can´t find the Doc files for new verison to download. Any help out there?

thx, br, B

It's there. Note that there are separate locations for software and documentation on the GTAC download site. Just to the Left of the button labeled...

NX/Unigraphics
NX

...is one labeled...

NX/Unigraphics
Documentation

If you select that and then the Windows NT (Intel) option you'll find that it's the 28th item listed:

nx-ugdoc-6.0.0.zip

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Whilst you guys figure out how to down load it, I'm happy to report that I have had full access to the 64 bit version for 3 weeks now and I'm very, very impressed with what I have seen so far. There are still, I'm sure many things which I need to learn, but my update course isn't for another 5 weeks or so. Also I only have it as standalone on my 'sandpit' box and therefore I'm not using it in conjunction with TCE. Will NX6 be certified for use with TCEng 9.1.3.6.c? if it isn't, then we won't be able to move to 6, we will need to go to NX5 for a year or two until the finance becomes available to upgrade our hardware and ultimately our version of TCEng.

Synchronous Technology is pretty damn slick although my system did bomb a couple of times when making some dubious uneducated edits, the pop-up selection intent is fantastic and as yet I've yet to take it out of full screen mode which I love, Siemens have created a thing of beauty here, the cutomisable raidial popups have alot of potential but I've not used it enough program them yet and to be honest the tool bar manager and pop up (via the alt key) menus are more than sufficient to keep me working at a fast pace with noticeably less mouse movement than any other previous version or indeed other CAD system that I have expereinced.

The orient express tool is excellent and again will save a lot of time and effort when defining vectors or planes and is really usefull when used in conjunction with Synchronous Technology for deciding for example which way you want to rotate a face.

Hide objects immediately is fantastic and so much better than the old Blank used in our current version of NX4.

I've still got a lot to try out and I'm looking forward to my upgrade course, if I come accross any major problems I'll post them, but so far, so fantastic!

Best regards

Simon (NX4.0.4.2 MP4 - TCEng 9.1.3.6.c)

Life shouldn't be measured by the number of breaths you take, but rather how many times it's taken away...

John,

sorry, but under the full product download section at GTAC i have only I-DEAS, NX/UNigraphics NX and NX Nastran buttons, there is no other.

Can there be a problem with our licensing or something, because now i see that the docs for NX5 have also been moved somewhere else and are no longer in the NX/UNigraphics NX section? Or is there another download server for docs (current:
thx a lot :)

br, B

bojanv is corrent.

If I use the web to access the FTP, I see no documentation tab at all and when I click the NX/Unigraphics NX tab, all I see are NX installs and documentation up to NX4, nothing for NX5 or NX6.

So next I tried to login to the FTP site using an FTP client. I browse to /product_download/. When I try to open the ug_doc folder, it tells me I do not have permission to open this folder.

I downloaded the docs back at the end of June...now they're nowhere to be found. Something has definitely changed.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back