Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[NX 7.5] Automatically Move Sketch to Layer After Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljbutler

Aerospace
Nov 20, 2013
US
I've been using NX 7.5 for a few months and I've been doing pretty alright with the transition from Solidworks to NX. One of the things I miss most from SW is that after you use a sketch, it hides it. Is there a way to set up NX so that I don't have to move each sketch to the layer myself after using it?

It's not a huge deal, it's just mildly annoying.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes if you extrude or revolve you sketch you could make that sketch an "internal" to that feature. Just Sketch then extrude, then right click on your extrude and say make sketch internal. Bam it is now gone. I think there is setting in customer defaults. Go to file utilities customer defaults go to modeling then general tab then click on the miscellanous tab the close to the bottom you will see automatically make sketches internal to child features. In I-Deas this was the norm. Since I have learned I can reuse my sketches I love leaving the sketches external to the child feature if you will.

Thanks, SDETERS. I'm fairly certain that if I did that, any other engineer that might work on my parts would hate me with a passion. haha

That's really close to what I'm looking for, but if it makes the sketch internal, it won't show up in the part navigator, right? If it could be nested under the feature, I think that would be perfectly fine enough, but if it hides the sketch in the Model History then I know people will throw fits.

Yep it hides the sketch in the Child feature. I mis read your post, that you are wanting to hide the sketch in a layer vs the Child feature. This was my fault. There may be a program file out there to do this. But I do not know how to do this off the top of my head. Sorry bout that.

You have to simply change their way of thinking. After all, if you're creating features using sketches, when it comes time to edit the model, is your desire to edit the FEATURES of the model or the sketches? Think about it a moment. Besides, if all you want to do is modify the dimensions of a feature simply edit it using 'Edit with Rollback' and you'll not only have access to the feature parameters but the sketch dimension will be displayed as well and you can select and edit them right from that same dialog without ever having to open the sketch itself. After awhile you'll accept the idea that the sketches are actually part of the features themselves. And as an added benefit, your Feature Tree will be much cleaner and free of unneeded clutter.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

No worries, SDETERS. Like JohnRBaker said, I may just start doing it and if the other engineers get upset, just say YOLO and keep doing it. I know it would make a much cleaner Feature Tree, that's what I loved about SolidWorks.

This is a new program we're starting. I'll give it a shot and hope I don't have to go back and change all the features. :p

Thanks again, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back