Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 7.5 Expression limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebuchter

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2010
US
We have a few really long expressions, and when we go into expressions dialog box and click on that specific expression, the formula is cutoff, we have to reject the edit and then go back into it, and the full formula is there.

Anyone else have this problem or is this some kind of bug, this never happened in NX5.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you sure that it's cut-off or just too long to be seen fully in the text entry widget? Have you tried to drag the cursor to the Right in the text entry widget to see if you can get to that part of the expression that was 'cut-off'?

That being said, for NX 8.0 we have addressed this issue by offering an alternative full-page entry window when editing an Expression. Note that when we say 'full-page', we don't mean that it fills the screen but rather that it does not truncate but rather allows the text string to wrap if it's longer than the width of the entry widget.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

It is cut-off, when you hover over it the pop-up window shows it the same way, if you make any changes with it "cut-off" it will not accept the expression. The only way to get it back is to reject edit then the full expression shows up.

What version of NX are you running?

And so that we are talking about the same thing, you're referring to the widget (titled 'Formula') where you enter/edit the value of an Expression found near the bottom of the Expression dialog, right?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

I tried to get something like this to fail in NX 7.5.5.4 but could not.

One thing I noticed, which may not be related to the problem but it would make your expression shorter, and that would be to leave out all of the blank spaces. While this might help the readability of this complex Expression, if it makes it harder to see the complete expression in the text entry widget on the Expression dialog, I would opt for less readability and more chance of seeing the entire expression in one place where I edit any place in the string easily.

BTW, I checked with ther developer and there is no explicit limit to the number of characters so that's not the problem.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back