Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 7.5 Shows Datums in Part, but not in Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljbutler

Aerospace
Nov 20, 2013
US
I originally had a pair of Datum Axes on this spring part, but I needed to replace them with a better definition. So, I deleted them and replaced them with them being defined by the intersection of planes. Everything went fine, I created them and moved the features to the corresponding layer. When I opened up the assembly that the spring went in to, all of those datums had disappeared, but other datums from other parts were showing just fine. I have the correct layers turned on and double-checked that the datums were in the right layers.

Attached is a picture that I hope illustrates what's going on.

Thank you in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to add them to your reference set. Let us know if you need help with that.
When you are in the assembly you may want to change the reference set on that component to entire part to get what you want.

That worked. Why would it do that, though? Every other item I've made has automatically been placed in the MODEL reference set.

The only things which are, by default, automatically included in the 'Model' Reference Set are Solid and Sheet Bodies, and even then, if you want them BOTH to be included, if a model has both Sheet Bodies and Solids, you'll have to change Customer Defaults since the OOTB default is to include only Solid Bodies unless the model consists of only Sheet Bodies. Virtually all other objects types will need to be explicitly added to the 'Model' Reference Set if you wish to see them in your Assembly. Of course, if the Datums are only going to be used for something like constraining the Component, you can switch to the 'Entire Part' Reference Set, which will show EVERYTHING including the Datums, and then after you've established the positions of the Components, you can switch back to the 'Model' Reference Set where the Datums will no longer be seen but they will still be in effect when it comes to maintaining the positions of the components.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back