Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 8.0.0.25 2d Exchange to DWG from drafting, missing Views 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh018

Industrial
Aug 24, 2012
US
Hello, we just upgraded to 8.0.0.25 from 7.5 and I went ahead and made some new drawing templates using the tools that NX8 offers for that, I made several drawings and plotted them just fine, but when I use 2D exchange to export them as a DWG the dimensions seem to be all there, but the views are translating partially at best, I have a screen grab of the NX8 screen of where the drawing was made and a Screen grab of our DWG viewer and this is what I get, please tell me what I am doing wrong, I looked on this forum and could find a single thing of anyone else having this problem, either I wasn't searching for the right thing or I am really doing something wrong.....

P.S. when I import the DWG back into NX it shows the same thing as our DWG viewer does.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks

Josh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks like an issue with Layers. Make sure that you're using the same DWG settings with respect to layers as you did before and after you started to use the new Boarders.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Is the NX part file in the same directory as the NX drawing file? I have seen this same behavior when the two are in different folders. If they are in different folders the 2D Exchange program won't pick up the part file correctly when it runs. Even if you have search folders set in your NX session. If you have the search folders saved in your load_options.def file it might work. Othersise there are seperate settings you can change in your UGto2D.def file. Spcifically by setting ASSEM_OPTIONS = <full path name for the load_options.def> file to use.

@BOPdesigner, yes I was in a different directory, and now that I have saved it in the same directory I have complete views, how ever my title blocks still wont translate , but if I change them to tab notes they do translate????? and I have a picture of our company logo and that doesn't seem to translate either.....

any thoughts on the title blocks, should I leave them set as notes, or is it better to have them set to title blocks?????? and the picture thing is weird

thanks guys for your lightning fast response........ your advice is honored.....

It doesn't surprise me that your logo image didn't translate. Did it before? As for the rest of the title block I would advise to contact GTAC. We are still on 7.5 so I don't know about the new tools in 8 you are talking about for drawing templates.

If your company logo is anything other than text or curves, such as an image file, I suspect that DWG does not support those sorts of objects. Are you required to provide your Drawings in DWG format or could PDF surfice? I ask because PDF is becoming a much more common exchange format for when the need is to share 'documents' and not 'geometry'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

yes 95% of our customers (die cast companies) use DWG for their end product of their tool designs that we make for them.

before, we just used text for our company name and slogan, when I informed them of the way NX8 populates the tabular notes (title blocks) from the properties menu (the variables from our old templates didn't seem to work)I suggested that I make a new set of boarders(so everything updates without having to force them), when I said that, the owners suggested that they see other company's putting there image looking logo's on there prints (DWG) that we receive from them, and thought now would be a good time to put one on ours, I admit it does look more professional, is there a work around to this or am I shooting in the dark

It's not an NX issue but rather the nature of DWG, which is a very old but albeit stable format, which I suspect is why it will not be changing anytime soon.

So you're saying that your customers are actually using a '2D Drawing' exchange format for accessing the geometry of your models, that they are NOT doing this for 'documentation' (as in man-readable 'paper') purposes, eh?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

they use prints for viewing purposes I would suspect, I know that in there tooling handbooks that they give to follow for their specifications they start all components to have individual 2-D prints, and it states what format they want everything in, they get a full assembly model of what we built to, the model format varies from Para solid to step, or even iges, but the drawing formats state DWG, I am not exactly sure what they use them for, I know its in their spec book, and if we are a little behind in zipping them up and sending them to them they tend to send an email wandering where they are, we only send electronic to them, sorry for being long winded, just to say I don't really know why they need them in DWG or if they even use them, all I know is its in the spec book and it says they require it.......

I am not trying to sound rude if I am..... I am just trying to answer your question John, I really don't have an answer but what I explained above.....

I did contact Gtac and found out that it was my DWG software that wasn't translating the title blocks, if you directly import it from a DWG back into NX they come back through, except our logo which is an image file, I will have to do something different with that, James from Gtac suggested that I try and export the image as a DXF them bring it in to NX for the template then it may work, I have yet to try this, but I will soon to see how it goes....

thanks again for your support, for being as green as I am with NX and design this forum and youtube has helped a lot, we have only taken the NX essentials class and have yet to take another, rest is trial and error, the problem is trying to find time when we are slow to take a class, but when we are slow, the next tier class is usually unavailable.....such is life....

Josh

You can insert images in AutoCAD just like you did with your logo in NX. So I would argue that the problem is not with the dwg format, but rather a gap in the 2D exchange translation utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back