Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 8.5 Customization

Status
Not open for further replies.

vimaldevk

Automotive
Feb 19, 2013
DE
Hello All,

I am configuring NX 8.5 with 2 envrionments, plz help me how to configure

I configured first Env as Group
and second one as Site

Can some one help me on correct method of configure site and Group Configurations.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look here in the help files...
Home-->System administration-->Customizing the NX installation-->Customizing the NX interface-->Site customization.

NX creates just one customization file and this is called user.mtx. It is created in the default location. As a site manager you need to run NX as an end-user, then copy the user.mtx file into one of the NX Open Application directories.

1.Before running NX, delete the user.mtx file from its default location. This allows you to start a fresh session without any user-level customization.
Note: If you are changing existing site customization (mtx format), copy the site mtx file to your user.mtx file in the default location.

2.Run NX. You can make changes to the menu bar and toolbars as well as creating new toolbars and new commands. The changes automatically are saved when you exit.

3.Copy the user.mtx file. Move the user.mtx file created in the default location into one of the NX Open directories set up in custom_dirs.dat for your users.

NX Open application directory
When NX starts up, it looks for user interface customizations in the directories listed in the files pointed to by the UGII_CUSTOM_DIRECTORY_FILE (By default, it points to $UGII_BASE_DIR/ugii/menus/custom_dirs.dat.) So if you add a directory to this file, you can place your .mtx files in a subdirectory called application, and NX will load them for all users when it starts up. For example:

On non-Windows
•Add /my_company/nx_customizations to the custom_dirs.dat file.

•Create the directory /my_company/nx_customizations/application.

•Copy user.mtx to /my_company/nx_customizations/application/<file>.mtx.

On Windows
•Add c:\my_nx_customizations to the custom_dirs.dat file.

•Create the directory c:\my_nx_customizations\application.

•Copy user.mtx to c:\my_nx_customizations\application\<file>.mtx.

•The files placed in these directories are automatically loaded when NX starts up.

•You can override the default value of UGII_CUSTOM_DIRECTORY_FILE, and point to your own file.

On the GTAC web forum for NX Install, Rob Cohon has created "NXCustom":
Rob Cohon said:
For those of you unfamiliar with NXcustom

NX system administrators have a unique challenge in deploying and maintaining company standards and best practices for CAD/CAM/CAE throughout the enterprise. NX85custom provides a way to centralize these tasks with easy access to NX related environment variables, customer defaults, individual user settings, custom templates, tool bars, tables and libraries.

NX85custom allows users and system administrators to quickly and easily deploy NX customizations to multiple users. Placing the NX85custom folder on a mapped network drive will allow all users to use the same NX configuration simply by double-clicking the NX85.bat file within the NX85custom folder. Single users can also benefit from using NX85custom on the local drive by setting up multiple environments that may be used to service the needs of multiple customers. All of this is done without modifying files in the NX install folders and without setting system and user environment variables, thus providing as-needed environment variables and preventing the possible loss of configuration data when NX is updated or uninstalled.[/quote]

I have used his files [2thumbsup] then tweaked them to work with our standards. You can download the files from the "Customizing NX8.5 on Windows" topic under the NX Install sub-title. You just need to have a GTAC account.
Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back