NX CAM - 4th axis general tips 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ma1ster

Mechanical
Sep 22, 2015
PL
Hi

I have a question regarding 4th axis machining with NX Cam. What are the proper operations to handle with 4th axis machining?

Also what are the requirements to the postprocessor? I'm posting my own here, I've only added PB_CMD_combine_rotary_check.
This boy is written for Haas VF-2 with HRT-160 rotary table with A axis.
Would you please post any suggestions to this postprocessor?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2d183353-fef8-4aff-ac5d-ea93556a1305&file=VF2_4AXIS.zip
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use Variable Contour mostly - Drive Method - Surface Area, with no part geometry just surface area drive geometry.
Set Tool axis to "4 axis normal to drive" and specify a vector as the rotation axis or "4 axis relative to drive" if you want to tilt off the
center of the end mill. There are many other tool path options but this is common for my type of 4 axis work. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rick

Win7 64 bit w/NX9.0.3.4 MP9 and NX10.0.2
Vericut 7.4

How bout roughing a part?

Imagine we've got a groove like those we can see on crankshaft, it's not possible to cut this just with one step. How should it be created then?

You can define multiple passes with variable Contour operations. You need to have part and drive geometry. The cutting parameters has an option for multiple passes where you can define the number of passes and the offset from the part geometry.

Look at the Mill Rotary operations in NX10.0 they may provide some additional options. I have not had a chance to use them much yet.

John Joyce
Manufacturing Engineer
Senior Aerospace CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back