Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX cam 4th axis wrapping machining

Status
Not open for further replies.

asadi2013

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2012
MY
Hi

I was wondering if i need the multi-axis machining package if i wanted to mill something like this:

At the above video shown,they use a custom developed UDOP operation (from postprocessor.ru) which is not native to NX cam.

It's basically wrap a 2d geometry and fixed the Y axis (if rotary table axis is in Y) and transform the Y to rotary movement.So it's basically still 3 axis movement and not Full 4 axis.

Other software like Sprutcam does this, it's called Cylindrical Interpolation and Mastercam called it Axis Substitution.

I was wondering if i have 3 axis NX cam package, can i do something like above?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To run a User Defined Operation (UDOP) program, no extra license is needed - just CAM Foundation. If the UDOP program uses NX functionaity, then those licenses are required - for example user defined drive method. But if the DUOP program is not using NX functions, then no more licenses are needed.

If the geometry is already wrapped, then to program a path like this using surface contouring you would need a multi-axis milling license.

You could also program it flat with a 2.5 axis milling license, and do the axis interchange with an API program or in the postprocessor.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Good to hear that.

The above UDOP is developed by POSTPROCESSOR.Ru and I think it's not a free ware.

I wonder if the NX CAM developer would expand this functionality (the wrap feature) in the future for 3 axis milling package.

It's easier to perform a milling operation on a swept geometry (on CAD) then to do separate Axis exchange or postprocessor alteration like what you have mentioned above.

Other CAM system already has this feature that doesn't require multi-axis cam package (since it's only 3 axis movement)

Also, i read from the brochure that NX cam 3 axis package support 3 + 2 indexing milling. If it that so, then 3 axis package is enough for me. Price is one factor since multi axis machining package cost much, much more than standard 3 axis package.

Thanks again for your reply

Unrelated to above post, but i wish to know whether Volumill for NX (by celeritive) can run solely on CAM foundation without any 2.5 or 3 axis package?

Thanks.

VoluMill for NX should only require CAM Foundation, since it does not use the NX CAM tool path processors.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back