Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX CAM (8.5, 9.0) Surface Area for template 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomiRo

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2013
EU
Hello,

I am trying to set up a CAM setup template with a surface area operation, but i cant get the definition of the drive geometry automatically inherited from a parent node (workpiece and/or mill_area). Is this even possible or am I missing some template settings here?

I also took a look into the feature based machining and tried this with the knowledge editor, but it seems it only can select a streamline or contour area operation from the recognized features. Is there any way i could hand down that feature for a surface area?

If anyone has an idea or some hints to get this to work it would be great, thanks for your time!

with regards

---
SiemensNX8.5.0.23@win7sp1x64

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The part, check, and cut area geometry from a WORKPIECE or MILL_AREA group will inherit in to the surface contouring operation. However, the drive geometry for surface area drive method is not inherited. In surface area drive, the surfaces must be ordered in to rows, and this is not a constraint in cut area. In fact, the cut area provides additional containment to grid of surface are faces, so both the drive geometry and cut area are available in surface area drive.

I would look at using the streamline drive method, which is more modern. It will inherit and analyze the cut area, and try to create two flow and drive curves automatically. This may give you wnat you are looking for.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Can NX CAM templates understand face color or tag to quazi automate CAM programming? Can other information from CAD model be passed to NX CAM? I am guessing yes as this is typical with an integrated system. We can't bring NX in to do CAM unless there are obvious benefits to save programming times or so I have been told.

let me know.

ToolingGuy
NX 8.5/SolidWorks 2014

Thank you markrief for your answer, i will look into the streamline feature!
Do you have, by any chance, some detailed information or documentation about the Machining Knowledge Editor? - I only have the Training PDF in the NX directory, but i was wondering if there is a more advanced manual available.

ToolingGuy78: I dont know if templates recognize facecolors, but I found the feature based machining can recognize attributes and/or colors and deploy operations defined in the machining knowledge editor on these faces. I am still figuring out how to set up templates based on these features, because there seems to be a possibilty in the create process dialog to use templates.

---
SiemensNX8.5.0.23@win7sp1x64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back