Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX Cam Associativity for non native parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLrider

Marine/Ocean
Sep 30, 2011
US
Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to NX Cam at about 8 months with NX8 and 8.5. My background is 15 years of Pro/E & Pro/NC with about 3 years of SolidWorks and FeatureCam.

I work with non native step or parasolid files from Autodesk Inventor. I want to start programming a part that is still in the design phase. Does NX Cam allow me to program a non native part then replace my original part file with a revision and NX maintains or updates the tool path? Up to this point I have done this by importing the rev part and manually repicking all of my toolpath geometry.

Is there a better way?

I appreciate all of your help.

Scott

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you set your manufacturing file up as an assembly and bring the parasolid in as a part file, You can replace the part in the original part file and then in the manufacturing assembly there is a "Replace Component" function that supposedly will do this. I tried a couple times and it did not work real well, but the parts were very complex. So ther is potential??

Thanks for your response. It is similar to the responses I received on the Siemens NC Cam forum which I have posted below.

Response 1) I would use Master Model manufacturing assemblies and WAVE link the imported component up to the manufacturing assembly level. You should then be able to replace the component and regenerate tool paths. Operations that have the WAVE linked solid body will have the best chance of regenerating without any additional edits. Operations that use selection intent also should regnerate without edits. Use of boundaries will probably require redefining those boundaries before they regenerate properly.

Response 2) As Rob stated using the CAD model as a component will allow you to easily replace the component in the CAM assembly.
In addition the use of a linked body allows you to use the replace assistant to handle matching the old faces and edges to the new ones.
The match will also improve maintaining associativity of boundaries.

I second the Wavelink method. We get a LOT of revisions for airframe parts.

I get .stp files from v5. Then, once converted to .prt I bring it as a component and make a Wavelink. If the model does not change "too much", I get pretty good results with regenerating operations after revisions. That said, if the dude at the other end deletes features and recreates them rather than moves it, there is always work to do...

Btw, I wished our company got into this habit before I got here. We have cam files with 4-5 parts on different layers with toolpath assigned to all of them! Wavelink is the way.

--
Bill

Thank you for your responses.

Bill, can you give me detailed steps on your procedure? I have attempted this process and have experienced the following.

1)Output parasolid 'Toolpath Test Part.x_t' from Autodesk Inventor, for some reason Inventor outputs a metric part.
2)Open 'Toolpath Test Part.x_t' in NX 8.5 save part file which is automatically renamed 'Toolpath Test Part_x_t.prt'
3)Convert to inches
4)Start Manufacturing model using Master Model assembly technique.
5)Create Wavelink to Solid1 i.e. 'Toolpath Test Part_x_t.prt'
6)Build toolpath operations
7)Modify Inventor part and output new parasolid titled 'Toolpath Test Part_2.x_t'
8)Repeat steps 1 & 2 to create 'Toolpath Test Part_2_x_t.prt'
9)In NX select component 'Toolpath Test Part_x_t.prt' MB3 and select Replace Component with 'Toolpath Test Part_2.x_t'
10)Alert : Component is not a version of replacement part

If I assemble 'Toolpath Test Part_2.x_t' directly into the model and select Replace Component I get the folowing Alert: Following Links were broken, Linked body Solid1.

Similar to your experience if the designer in SW or Pro/E deleted and rebuilt references rather than modifying them toolpath regeneration failed and references needed to be reestablished.

Thanks again,
Scott

hi i have a big problem because in my software NX8.5 it dosen´t have all the operation in Manufacturing and I have the fuul version but in yhe method of Varible Contour i don´t have all the funtions for examples only display Bundary and OCntor profile but and the more option for example : surface area, if your have the version NX8.0 that has all the fintion any person say me thant my installlation.

can you help me how to activity that funtion or method please it´s very iportant for me

I´m From to Mexico Please help me.

Mark,
To whom are you posing this question? I as the original poster am running NX 8.5.1.3 NX Cam only. I do not have modeling available to me on regularly. I can borrow it from the other user for short periods if I need to.

@TLRider - Sorry, I was responding to ludra0, but did not quote it. I guess he should start a separate thread, as the quesiton is not related to your thread.

ludra0 said:
ludra0 (Mechanical) 20 Jul 13 17:08
hi i have a big problem because in my software NX8.5 it dosen´t have all the operation in Manufacturing and I have the fuul version but in yhe method of Varible Contour i don´t have all the funtions for examples only display Bundary and OCntor profile but and the more option for example : surface area, if your have the version NX8.0 that has all the fintion any person say me thant my installlation.

can you help me how to activity that funtion or method please it´s very iportant for me

I´m From to Mexico Please help me.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back