Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX CAM: Info regarding synchronous machining on Mori Seiki NT4250

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasey7

Mechanical
May 1, 2003
US
Hola!

We recently purchased a Mori Seiki NT4250DCG, and we're looking to take full advantage of its capabilities.
• Does anyone use NX to create NC code that is able to perform synchronous machining?
• Is NX even capable of synchronous machining?
• Can it handle 8 axis programming (5 axis on the primary spindle, 3 axis on the secondary)?
• Does NX require a virtual machine environment to do this?
• Is NX 8 likely to bring anything new to the table? If so, how far away is the release date?

I'll apologize in advance for my naivete if I'm getting terms mixed up. Any real-world insights to the pros and cons of using NX for multi-axis machining would be greatly appreciated. Any links to any web-based any info would also be great.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Jarek30.

Also, like Shags72, I'm interested in feedback, good or bad, from people who are using the software.

Have you looked in to a Machine Tool Support Kit from your reseller or account rep? This may give you a head start.

Sychronizing is done with the Sync Manager.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

No, not yet Mark. We're more interested hearing some users opinions at this point. Reller's may gloss over any of the software's shortcomings.

We have sync turned before but without an ISV package and it was a pain. This was in NX 6.0.2.8 but the points cannot be put just anywhere and with the code involved the tool list procs for the post won't work so this would have to be accomplished through shop docs or some other way. I see there isn't a whole lot of replies to this. You could try in the GTAC bbs forums at this link...

You will have to have a sold to id and something else I can't remember but there is more traffic sometimes there. Good Luck!

Thanks Shags72.
Is ISV a virtual simulator of some sort? Because that is definately something we're looking into as well.
My webkey won't work to access the Siemens bulletin boards for some reason. But it hasn't worked recently for the GTAC server either as our IP address has recently changed (again! Ergh!). I can't find any way of getting help on that page either. [ponder]

If I remember right it is integrated simulation and verification and there 2 versions. The old is really finicky and breaks with post changes BUT you can do just about anything with it or so I am told. The new is supposed to be easier and less finicky but is not as robust. I.E it didn't last time we looked into it deal with parallel axis like W and Z and only supported a few controllers, but that has been awhile. I did see one for a Mazak a few years ago and it almost worked and it was the old version but was told that with almost every post change the ISV had to be fixed too. There is little or no documentation on how to do either of them from what I have seen and read in different forums. Call your sales rep to get onto GTAC forums and you will find more on all of this. Do a search on it and you will see. Oh and do you plan to do the work yourself (or your company) or are you going to hire it out? Post work on complicated machines is pretty difficult and ISV is even worse. If you get tool management and all the bells and whistles on your machine it adds a lot of post work to deal with that stuff. Timing seems to be about the biggest problem with the post as in when things are available for you to use in your post.

Maybe this additonal bit of information helps.

There are three kind of Integrated Simulation and Verification methods within nx:
vnc plugin type
vnc mtd
cse

The first one is a black box type developed together with siemens when I think eds owned unigraphics (840D controller).
The second one is independently developed very open system.
The third came in to play with the merger of conmatrix.

The first and last require outsourcing if your configuration is not in the out of the box sample machines. The second can be programmed by anybody with some kind of tcl programming knowledge. The second has as downside that it is slower than the third one and maybe the second.

The Common Simulation Engine is supposed to make life easier. Reverse posting should be less of a trouble and the idea is that the development time of the postprocessor is shorter. No need to customize motions and parameter settings because the black box should be a copy of the controller/machine.

Currently we're investigating Siemens' Mori Seiki NT4200 Machine Tool Support Kit for NX. ISV Advanced Simulation is part of the package, as I understand it. I'm assuming it's the Common Simulation Engine, mentioned above by Jelmerra, since we're not looking to changing the controller (I don't believe so that is).
Also, it appears that our reseller will supply a post-processor suited to our requirements as part of the package.
I hear great things about Vericut as well, but it'd be nice to stay within one machining environment if possible.

So far, it seems no one is using anything above NX6 for their multi-axis CAM work. I was hoping to hear some opinions regarding NX7.5 since I recall reading awhile back Siemens was going to place much greater emphasis on improving the CAM side of NX; both ease of use, and reliability. I'm wondering if users feel that statement is justified.

Jelmerra, I'm trying to find info regarding Siemens merger with Conmatrix. I'm not having any luck with Google. Is Conmatrix the correct spelling?

BTW, word to the wise; do NOT Google CAMmatrix. [censored]

The toolpath quality has improved in nx7.5. In the past switching the add finish pass would be not very practical. Nowadays there are a lot less tiny toolpath motions. The small linear motions in front of a circular move have gone. The result of all this is that one can switch cutcom on without stalling the controller. The is&v side appears to be faster. The toolpath verification has improved a lot with the thickness option. Addition of the retract shapes (dome, cylinder and block). The graphical representation of tools and holders is better. The vector dialogs in multi-axis milling are clearer. Addition of the parallel generate option, implementation not very intuitive.

The initial release had some buggs too: machine models created in nx7.5 do not work, planar mill operations went corrupt with the associativity switch on when selecting a floor plane, cavity mill does leave small bits, cycle time mentioned in program view does not match is&v. Most of those issues have been solved in the latest release.

The out of the box templates are logical but not practical. Leaving a drill at the bottom of a hole with standard settings is a bit odd. In order to have speedy path generation holder collision is switched off in multi axis operations, can be tricky.

Anyway in general it is an improvement.

Hmm. Conmatix doesn't seem have much to do with CAM. It appears that they are some sort of a consulting/service/training partner for Teamcenter/PLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back