NX cam - non linear disc milling - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechjames

Mechanical
Apr 7, 2011
SE
Hi Guys,
attached is an image showing an open slot I would like to cut out with a disc mill. It is a non linear path (a couple of straight lines tangential to a curve). I can't work out how to do this, any pointers greatly appreciated...

many thanks,
James

nonlineardiscmill_ax7r2m.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On further investigation I am wondering is the use of the swept function to create the shape in the model causing a problem here?

cheers!

I do not do much of this type of programming but it appears that a Groove Milling operation from the planar operations group is what you are looking for. You mentioned it was created with a swept feature which shouldn't be a problem especially if the groove faces are planar and cylindrical. As for the cutter NX supports T slot cutters and those can be retrieved or created from all the milling types except rotary I believe. The default tool library contains five entries and you can search for them using Retrieve Tools from Library and enter "T-Slot" for the Description. When searching don't use quotes and it is case sensitive. (why it's case sensitive defies common sense. I think it might be antique hold-over-logic from waaaaaaay back in the UNIX days) Also for NX documentation you can invoke context help by pressing F1. By the way you might need tracking points for this operation but that may be only for boundary driven operations with T cutters. Again, the docs are your buddies and post back here if you need further help. [smile]

Image_2_cbwbc0.jpg

Image_3_yko1ar.jpg

Image_4_c1fau0.jpg

Image_5_wlogfu.jpg

NX 12.0.2
Testing 1899
EVP's

Hi Tingsryd,
I solved my problem. I have done quite a bit of slot cutting and there are many ways to do it. I am familiar with the tool creation and have all that set up. The problem was using the swept function to create the initial model. I made the model again using extrude and subtract functions and it all just worked. Thinking about it I did not use the preserve exact shape option in the sweep operation so maybe that was the real issue but I did not investigate further...

many thanks!

cheers,
James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back