Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX Datum Feature Symbol 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattBaumann

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2013
US
Is there a way to make datum feature symbols stand out on a drawing? When people look at prints, they always have a hard time locating the datum callouts. They have asked about possibly shading them, but I see problems with this as well. Has anyone come up with a good way to make them easier to find on a drawing?

Thanks,

Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Edit the symbol line and letter styles to bold.

Years ago when I was still on the board, a checker brought this issue up and the solution was to go heavy on the line weight for all GD&T.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

I guess you could use a Bold or Wide font. Starting with NX 8.5, we've added additional 'Line Widths', some of them quite wide (up to 2.00mm), which can really make something standout from the clutter ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Highlight your datum feature, left click on your datum feature, select "Settings", and this is where you can thicken your lines and letters, as they mentioned above.

I am using 9.0.0.19. And, when I do the right mouse click and select "Settings", I get a menu where you can change the thickness of the lines. By default, your lines should be "0.13mm". But, when you click on the down arrow on the right of the "0.13mm", you are given a choice of thinner or thicker lines. Do you not get the menu? (I have attached a JPG of the screenshot of the menu) You should be able to access this menu by default. IF not, then you might want to talk to your UG Administrator to see why not.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fe5c3148-8d6d-47fd-9285-22470373e730&file=Thicken_Arrow_And_Extension_Lines.jpg
I am the administrator, so I doubt that would help. :p

I get the menu, but changing that doesn't actually do anything. The lines stay the same width.

Preferences -> visualization -> line -> part settings -> line widths -> show line widths
The option above needs to be turned on and you might want to adjust the "width scale" to see the changes on screen.

If the width changes do not show up on a physical plot of the drawing, you may also need to adjust your plotting preferences.

www.nxjournaling.com

Thank you. That solved it. I'm not sure if this will be our fix, but it gives me an option at least. Thanks everyone!

And if anyone ever comes up with another alternative, I'd love to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back