Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX Difference between assembly and model start templates? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudeman555

Automotive
Feb 10, 2006
US
Im using NX 8.0 and I don't see any real difference between an assembly and model start template.
A model will allow me to enter the assembly mode and have access to assembly commands. I can even attach models
under a model; which at that point looks no different than an assembly? So why would I want to use
an assembly? Is there a difference or advantage?
New NX user coming from long time Catia V5.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NX has only 1 file format; you don't need to be in a special file to create an assembly vs a model vs a drawing. There isn't much difference between the model and assembly out of the box (OOTB) templates. The model template gives you a datum csys to use and the assembly template will immediately start the "add component" command, but there is no fundamental difference in the file structure. Once a file is created it can be used however you need. Even the drawing templates are nothing special; start a model file, switch to drafting, add a sheet and import a titleblock - now you have a drawing file. The real usefulness of templates comes with your individual customization. You may want different preferences in a model file vs an assembly file vs drawing; or you may do design work for different customers each of which have their own set of standards that you need to use. Using templates for the different customers/situations makes your life easier.

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back