Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX drawing, part is ref only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudeman555

Automotive
Feb 10, 2006
US
this issue occurs for me in versions 1899 and also in version 1969.
I always use master model concept.
Hello, Can someone tell why the 3D part keeps loading as "ref only" when I create a view?
ref_only_hx3xiv.jpg

This doesn't happen for me when I use NX version 11:
NX_11_bqndjc.jpg

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you turn on the "info" column in NX11, you will see the same message. In both cases, what you have is known as a "drafting component". When you added the base view to your drawing, NX defaults to pulling a view from the master part (as opposed to pulling from the drawing itself). Drafting components will not participate in parts lists.

www.nxjournaling.com

I see! So then is this the correct symbol for the 3D?
symbol_s4nmsk.jpg

I just need to be sure because I'm try to analyze a bigger issue. I can't get my drawings into our PDM using 1899
and I thought it was because the 3d was being attached differently. I'm used to seeing the single or triple square symbol
under the drawing item

Somehow I was able to create a view on another drawing and have the 3d attach with the single square;
symbol_vcmsc0.jpg

This newer symbol, which looks like a mini drawing, is not what I'm used to seeing.

Your PDM may be looking for an actual component reference in the drawing part (are you using Teamcenter?). If so, open the drawing and switch to the modeling application - go to the assemblies tab and use the "add component" command to add your piece part for which you want to create a drawing and switch back to the drafting application. This will result in the yellow cube component icon instead of the mini drawing. When you add a base view to the drawing, you will be able to choose from the model file or the drawing file in the "part" section of the dialog.

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back