Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NX Drive Method Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch123

Industrial
Dec 17, 2016
US
Hi. At my work, there is a computer with Siemens NX Unigraphics version #10. I have been on it and have completed the tutorials that are part of that software package. Recently, I ordered more tutorials from an internet source for this same software package. These tutorials however are for multi axis levels. When working my way through them, I entered a lesson on Multi axis Variable Contouring. The tutorial explains that I must select a certain feature, then under " Drive Method" select " surface area" . However, there is no such option under this menu. The only options available are : " boundary, contour area, and user defined." the tutorial clearly states (and shows) that this option must be selected to continue.

From what I understand, the company no longer has a contract with the software provider, and I am wondering if this problem could be fixed if we upgraded to a more sophisticated version, that includes more advanced options under the menus. This manufacturing facility does not do any advanced multi axis machining techniques, so I would venture to say that they would not be willing to pay for any upgrade. I would be willing if it didn't cost too much. But I also wonder if it could be fixed by selecting some obscure check box in a hidden folder somewhere.

Again, the problem is that there is limited functionality with this software package. There are other options when selected that produce the error "Selected Drive Method not available in Shops". What is this, and can it be fixed easily, or do I need to contact the company and upgrade? What do you think something like this would cost an average student/apprentice?

Thanks

Harvey

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks like you are using an old SHOPS license bundle. This version of NX CAM had limited functionality at a reduced price. SHOPS was retired a long time ago, and CAM Express is probably the closest we offer today.
To see all the drive methods, you need to upgrade to a current multi-axis bundle. If the company stopped paying maintenance, this may affect the upgrade cost, so please contact your reseller or Siemens to see what your options are.

Mark Rief
NX CAM Customer Success
Siemens PLM Software

Thank you Mark Reif. How do I know what "bundle" this computer has? I have located the "cam express" under start menu on this computer. When activated, and the tutorial workpeice loaded, the required drive mthods are still omitted. Again, the drive method I need to complete this tutorial is : surface area. Again, this is a multi axis operation with "variable contour" selected as sub-type.

Since this computer is still able to open cam-express, I am beginning to wonder if there is a simple fix here. Perhaps some check box that needs to be checked.

Thanks again.

Go to Help > Log File, and look at the "************** Licensing Information **************"
Options missing from the Drive Method drop-down menu are due to the license, not a check-box.

Mark Rief
NX CAM Customer Success
Siemens PLM Software

I followed the path you describe to the "Log File", and what I read exactly is (with reference to Bundles) :

"Number of bundles in use :0"

Try this

Select - application - Gateway

File - Utilities - Select Bundle

Do you have any other bundles available ?

John Joyce
Manufacturing Engineer
Senior Aerospace CT
NX 10 Vericut 7.4.1

Selection, application, Gateway sequence was performed. The results were " the screen blinked as though it were refreshing, but other wise, nothing major was noted. After this sequence was executed, "File/Utilities/Select Bundle" was executed. Results: The box beneath "available bundles" is empty.

Question: Isn't Cam Express itself a "bundle"?

What does the log file say for Server Setting Used?
You probably have a node locked license, so there is no bundle selection.
I'm not sure what you want to do here. If you want the other drive method options, you need a license that includes them. Please contact GTAC or your reseller, to confirm what products you have purchased, and what it would take to upgrade.

Mark Rief
NX CAM Customer Success
Siemens PLM Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back