Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX features, new developments ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lars1978

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2015
NL
Hi all,

I'm wondering if I can find a list of features that are being developed at Siemens?

This because I'm curious if I should stick to NX or switch to something like SW, Inventorfor or Catia in the feature.

This all depend on the pleasure an roi when working with a the program. For now NX is on the positive side of the scal but I see other programs give more and more value for money compared to NX....

Lars
NX native (NX13 or NX1847)
Solid Edge ST10
Inventor
Solidworks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

s_hightower,

"Some people say they stay away from assembly constraints as much as possible."

Is there any other way to assemble components other than using constraints? As i have just started learning NX, even i found ASSEMBLY IN NX is very difficult, but thought that is due to my inexperience in using it.

lgnx,
Unfortunately, I don't really have good news for you. I assumed, at first, that the poor results at assembly constraints were a reflection of my ability since I was starting out with NX. I had my doubts, though, because I have 15+ years of experience with a different CAD software, so I had a good idea of how assembly constraints were supposed to work.

I've now been using NX for over 3 years and I have posted many times on the Siemens NX forum. After this experience and hearing from others, I now think that the assembly constraints don't work very well because the assembly constraints are just NX's failed attempt at constraining the components. Everything is now a work around to get by.

Here's what a different NX user gave for an alternative to using the assembly constraints:
"Move Component allows for the use of constraints to achieve moving the component. Once the Move is completed and the user OK/Apply the Move, the constraints are removed. Should a component change such that the positioning needs to be adjusted, another Move Component is necessary.

Should the plate thickness change, and I wish to maintain the 5mm pin height above the top face of the plate, I will have to go through the Move Component routine again. Tedious, maybe for some, but it's one less thing I have to try and fix when stuff goes wrong or mutiple changes are made and I don't see the assembly update real-time. I've seen entire vehicle assemblies managed in a similar manner for decades at a particular automaker."

This method would have been awful and ridiculed if I was using my other CAD software; but it is, unfortunately, an acceptable solution in NX. I have wasted to much time just trying to get NX's poor attempt at assembly constraints to work. I don't know of any acceptable fix. I waste to much time getting the assembly constraints to not fail when I'd rather be spending that time designing product.

@s_hightower,

I'd also like to add something on top of the poor contraining solution. In the modeling department NX is in my opinion the best. But when it comes to assemblies.... (well let's say it could not be much worse... )

I'd like to point out that , when moving contstrained parts to another level or another assembly the constrains between, those parts are lost.. (and yes I mean the contrains between the parts which are moved)....

Other CAD software already have this for years....

I really like the new button icons and look of NX... but I like it more when I have more productivity....

Lars
NX native (NX13 or NX1847)
Solid Edge ST10
Inventor
Solidworks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back