Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX Flow and NX Thermal on Mac OS X 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsmith1984

Aerospace
Mar 15, 2008
US
I have read that NX 5 runs "fine" on Mac OS X. Am curious whether or not this is also true of NX Flow and NX Thermal.

And if so, does NX Flow support flow analysis for multi-species combustion?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just bought a macbook pro and have been interested in installing NX5 on it. Is there a os x for nx5 or do you have to use bootleg and then use the ugs-nx5 for windows version. I also heard that when NX6 releases there will be a os-x version for the Mac. I run NX5 under windows xp at work but needed to learn more of the software on my own time at home. I don't get enough time to learn about how all the libraries are linked together as I'm trying to build on the exhisting libraries, also to get the correct feeds and speeds right, with the tools and holders. I've tried to figure it out but it is not easy like the software. My computer at work is licensed only for the manufacturing, like cam express and such. Wish I could be more of assistance for you on your flow and thermal question.

To start with, it's called 'Boot Camp', not 'bootleg' ;-)

But that being said, until NX 6, if you wish to run NX on your MacBook Pro, you'll have to run in under Windows and not OS X. However, starting with NX 6 you will have the option to run either a Windows or Mac OS X version of NX on your Intel-based Apple hardware.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

From these replies, it appears that the core NX product will support Mac OS X in version 6. Will that include NX Flow and NX Thermal? My interest is one product line to support specific multidisciplinary analyses on Mac OS X, if that capability is available.

I am a user of Solidworks and want to move to MAC OSX, they do not have a version for the MAC platform. I am very interested in learning about Unigraphics NX for MAC OSX. Where can a find a demo or get pricing?

Inquiry to JohnRBaker: what is status of NX 6 for Mac OS X, including Thermal and Flow modules? Have seen indications that NX 6 may have become commercially available in past couple weeks, but have failed to track down specifics.

Officially the Mac version won't available until NX 6.0.1.x which is planned for September and even then there's a 'fly in the ointment' since the current version of MS Office for the Mac, Office 2008, no longer comes with the necessary developers tools (unlike the Windows version which does) used by us to hook up the Excel spreadsheet. So this may delay the release further as we have no spreadsheet solution at this time. There has been some success in getting this to work with Office 2004 but even then you have to get a special toolkit from Microsoft which they've decided to no longer supply for Office 2008 users, even if you ask (the rumor is that they may once again supply these tools with Office 2011).

So until at least September, there is nothing to report.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

OK, I just checked on the status of the CAE modules, including NX Flow and NX Thermal, for the Mac OS port. The porting of these modules, and that includes ALL CAE products, are being planned for NX 7. For NX 6.0.1 (if we release it) it will cover the basic CAD and CAM modules only, but there might be a delay in the NX Sheet Metal module.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Cypress, CA

So NX 6 may not be released for OS X now? Wasn't it originally supposed to be NX 5? How serious is the company about supporting Apple? I am sick of having to choke down this Windows nonsense whenever I want to use CAD!

If I correctly understood (never guaranteed) JohnRBaker's previous posts, it sounds like the core CAD/CAM modules of NX 6.0.1 will be available on Mac OS X, but that the flow and thermal modules are delayed until NX 7. In my mind, and perhaps I am mistaken, it sounds like Siemens has followed through in porting the CAD/CAM modules to NX 6.0.1. If so, I salute the follow through and look forward to the other functions in the next version.

Well NX5 has come and gone. Then NX 6.0, now NX 6.0.1. All empty promises from Siemens. I'm sure next we'll hear the Mac version will be released beginning with NX7 then NX8.... Truth is it will probably never happen. I've been told there has only been ONE PERSON assigned to port NX to the Mac. That shows the real commitment Siemens has. The last I heard they are blaming the multi-year delay on Microsoft.

Funny thing is for such a major event as NX on Mac there is virtually nothing to be found on the net about it. It wouldn't surprise me if the project was dropped all together. After all the one programmer could get laid off or hit by a bus and the whole project would probably be scrapped.

I feel your pain CaDood, I've been waiting for the Mac release of NX for a long time too and I'm wondering if John Baker could maybe fill us in with an update on the situation.

"OK, I just checked on the status of the CAE modules, including NX Flow and NX Thermal, for the Mac OS port. The porting of these modules, and that includes ALL CAE products, are being planned for NX 7. For NX 6.0.1 (if we release it) it will cover the basic CAD and CAM modules only, but there might be a delay in the NX Sheet Metal module."

So this will be considered beta - and freely distributed to OSX users?

Please go to the link suggested in my previous post for the latest status of the NX on Apple OS-X. Look for my post dated 27 Jan 09. If you read it you will see that there are NO Plans for a formal 'beta program'. As for acquiring a copy of NX for Apple OS-X, I suspect that once we are ready to deliver the production version of the software, currently planned as part of the release of NX 6.0.3.x later in the year, that the procedure will be similar to how we have handled customers in the past who wished to install and use NX on more than on hardware platform. The actual NX software itself is not the issue, it's whether you have sufficient seats available on your license server which will determine how many total number of seats of NX can be running at any one time on whatever 'workstations' that you have connected on the network and where the NX software has been installed and configured to run.

Also note that this first release of NX on the Apple OS-X will include support for ONLY CAD (modeling and drafting) as well as probably CAM. Support of ALL other modules will be evaluated for a possible later release, but certainly not before NX 7. There will be further announcements made as to when and if these other modules are included in the list of supported capabilities and functionality.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Cypress, CA

John, you and Jeff Ray of SW are MacUsers. Too bad the business numbers make it so hard for you to add Mac to your CAD software.

I am adding one more vote for a (true) NX Mac port. The VAR gave me a demo of NX (but on a PC) and I would switch if I could try it on the Mac. SW is good but Windoze PCs are driving me crazy. The basic modules are enough for now.

I did machine design on the board 1962-1983, on Apple then Mac till 2001, then switched to PC because I wanted SolidWorks. Now I will leave PCs. What can I run?

Nolton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back