Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX Non cutting moves 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumantwo

Nuclear
Nov 14, 2012
GB
thread561-320400
I am trying to mill an open ended slot with cavity mill, the problem i have is that the tool does not feed down in fresh air in front of the job as i would like it to, i have altered nearly everything i coould in the non cutting moves but still has not solved the problem, any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless bad geometry is causing something an issue, positioning outside the cut area should be straight forward. Can you reply with your NCM settings?

NX8

i have had another day of messing with the ncm's and still no joy.
but i have spoken to someone that recommends planar mill or planar profile for a slot, my only problem now is setting the part and blank boundaries correctly.

Cavity Mill is mainly for a quick way to program for roughing IMO. I would go the planar mill way. There is an operation named Face_Milling_Area in the mill_planar.prt template, all you have to do is select the part, pick the floor of the slot as the cut area, click Automatic Walls to turn the toggle button on. It sets the boundary for you, then in Path Settings set cut pattern, I prefer follow part, if you want multiple levels put in a value for the Depth Per Cut.

Hope this helps.

Whatever operation type you decide to use you have to properly set NCM to attain the engages you are looking for; just about every operation uses NCM. For your open ended slot, in NCM I would set the Open Area Engage Type to linear and also set the length you want. If you need to turn on cutter comp then it involves some other settings.

I agree with diamond3210, face milling is wonderful operation for geometry like this. If you want to machine all the walls then you don't even have to specify any. If you use multiple depth cuts then you also have to set a blank amount. I use face milling frequently and I definitely choose it before I choose planar mill and planar profile.

NX8

Nothing to do with CAD/CAM, just short for in my opinion. My point was that while Cavity Mill is great for quick roughing programs,you will usually spend a lot more time trying to get the NCM's to do what you want than you would if you just went with a basic planar mill type op. (sometimes Cavity Mill seems to have a mind of its own), if you continue to have trouble just go with picking the floor of the slot as your part and pick the walls as a boundary, in the cutting para. under multiple passes put in a part stock offset and click the multi-depth cut and put in an increment(while there is a lot more picking things to get this to work, just think how much time you would have saved by now if you wouldn't have went for the "quick" way), after that getting the NCM's to do wnat you is pretty staight forward.

Stick in there, after making some programs you'll get the hang of it. NX is great it just takes time to figure it all out.

Today I successfully milled the slot just as I wanted to do it using Face Milling Area just as recommended,it worked just fine without altering the NCM settings, thanks for your input Guys!

Great news.......and it only took you SIX DAYS.....

Learn how fun it is to play with other operations and brush up on yer NCM's. It will save you some time.

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back