Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NX Non-timestamp Geometry

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCRodg

Mechanical
Aug 9, 2017
US
My question is very basic: What exactly IS Non-Timestamp Geometry?

No timestamp obviously but what does that mean exactly?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is geometry that is not controlled by a feature. For example, start the line command and turn off the "associative" option; create a line and press OK. You will have a line object that you can use, but no line feature in the part navigator.

Each feature has a "timestamp" (the number after the feature name); when NX updates the model, the features are applied in timestamp order.

www.nxjournaling.com

Ah ! Thank you. Asked and answered.

It sounds similar to what you get if you use "Remove Parameters".

In fact I just tried it and indeed "Remove Parameters" when I did that to a line creates a line in Non-timestamp Geometry. It gets removed from "Model History" of the model navigator, and goes to Non-timestamp Geometry. Makes sense because now there is no "history" on how that entity was created.

What's interesting is doing "Remove Parameters" on a solid, say an Extrude created in the Modeling tab creates a "Body(nn)" in the Model History and not in Non-timestamp Geometry.
Is there are reason for that????

I'm using NX16 by the way.

If I remember correctly, the 'Remove Parameters' function is itself a timestamped operation.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-'Product Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Effectively, non-timestamp geometry all simultaneously exists at the very top of the feature tree, independent of parent features.

Non-feature points and curves features and facet bodies typically reside there. They can be used as references for other features.

"Remove parameters" is not a time-stamp operation. It just lobotomizes the body and leaves the body as a simple, unparameterized "body" feature. there is no timestamp, and no way to delete or suppress a deparameterization.

Why would anyone do such a thing as remove parameters? I could write a whole thesis on that.

[bat]Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back