Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX training (In house) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

albates1972

Automotive
Feb 10, 2010
US
We are looking for a company to provide in-house training to refine our methods, possibly, the way we design/detail our products.

I have searced this site and found the below options.

1. Design Visionaries (they have good feedback from eng-tips users)
2. Siemans

Does anyone have any other companies in mind?

Thank you,

Allen

Current version: NX 7.5

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most of the vars do a pretty good job with training just look for one in your area

Ryan Lee
Mechanical Project Engineer

NX 6.0.5.3
NX 9.0.0.19(testing)
If you can think it it can be modeled

The one in Denver is now part of Tata. They have online training at
In the past I have used CAD Potential, which is now Tata, Design Visionaires and Siemens for our training. All provide excellent training. There are some fundamental differences in they way they all look at the training and how you can maximize the investment. All have provided on-site training, which is financially beneficial if you are training 4 or more at the same time.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Siemens training is a joke, at least the class we took was.

First off it was titled "NX for experienced designers" yet the first 3 days were spend on sketcher. Experienced designers do not need a 3 day dog and pony show about sketcher.

An advanced class should be half day or one day primers on various areas of the software, not 3 days of spoon feeding every esoteric command sketcher has to offer.

During this bore fest I decided to go off on my own and do some surfacing, during a walk around I called the instructor over with a surfacing question only to find out he had no surfacing experience and couldn't answer my question.

Seimens may write the software but they sure as heck don't have a clue how instruct using it.

My experience has been about the same, QG.

It gets good around day four, but then it's just about time to go home. [bigcheeks]

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

Although i am not a trainer myself but i think you can ask the training to be tailor- made as per your requirements (if you have already made a list of what do you want to get from the training).Certainly it is not a part of the regular training session so i would request you to at least get in touch with a local Siemens contact to explore such feasibility.
From my experience (which no doubt is small compared to most of you experts) your requirement seems to be more of a "best practices" session to increase the overall productivity.
I am not sure if this is doable in a single session but it can be broken into smaller and more productive sessions. During the first visit of the trainer (or the expert) the trainer might look into what exactly you require based on the inputs from your design departments. Taking a cue from your detailed description he/she will come up with a schedule and then you can decide among yourself if it is ok with you.
Besides this i feel separate departments have their separate requirements so in case the trainer indulge with them one by one. it would be good to conduct a common session (sharing all the best practices from all users.) for all. It will not only save a lot of time for you (only one group need to engage with the trainer at one time) but also ensure that all the users get benefited from this knowledge sharing session.
Best Regards
Kapil Sharma

A lot depends on WHAT you want to get from a training class. "NX for experienced designers" sounds like it is made for someone coming from a PTC or CATIA background and needs to adapt to NX. If this is what the class is intended for, then it makes sense that the instrutor would be teaching HOW to use the NX sketcher as the basis for the way NX works. While you may understand sketching, do you understand the way NX builds constraints in its sketcher? Most training classes are designed to teach the menus, not the principles of design.
Design Visionaires tends to lean their training towards design principles on top of the menus to get the most from the software.

If you are looking for better ways to inprove productivity with NX, then look at bringing in an application engineer for a week. Have them sit with your designers and observe how you do things today. Maybe 2-3 hours with each designer or senior designer, then allow the application engineer to hold a 1/2-1 day 'suggested improvement' session(s). Document your company's Best Practices in doing certain functions within the software. Use templates for your start parts for uniformity. Know how to use expresssions and relations to drive your models.

Training is an investment, not an expense.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

As a former trainer (CadPo and then Tata Technologies) for 15 years. I have always found the "out of the box" training an issue for experienced users. We would work with the company to tailor a class to the needs of the users. I have sat thru a couple of Siemens classes and the instructors were very knowledgeable about the subject matter. I would not expect them to know every possible aspect of the product.
As Ben pointed out training is an investment. Make sure you work with your training provider to get something worth the time and effort of your users.

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX6, NX7.5,NX8.5, NX9.0
Vericut7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back