Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NX10 Feature Control Frame, Extension Line Trimming 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OregonME85

Mechanical
Dec 12, 2012
US
I'm inserting a feature control frame onto a vertical dimension and would like to place the FCF below the dimension. However when the FCF is placed the arrow lines do not trim to fit the FCF, as shown.
Incorrect_Dimension_tnegdw.jpg

It should look like this:
correct_p6hgeo.jpg

Thank you! [bigsmile]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you adding it to the existing dimension as 'Appended Text' or just creating a FCF as a separate object and then dragging it into place?

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Last image is either Appended Text or they've added a User-Defined Symbol called Gap to the dimension if the FCF is NOT Appended Text.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.3.4 Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Somewhat. The append text method is painful to insert(unless a similar note is handy), and not easy to edit. Is there an easy way to convert a FCF to append text?

Short answer, no. My original post gave you all the options.

If you use a true FCF, then you'll have to either change your Gap value (which I believe makes the gap larger/smaller on both sides of the dimension text) or insert a Gap symbol from the out of the box User-Defined Symbols onto the dimesion's extension line you wish to shorten. This is pretty much a blank symbol (nothing to see) and the downside is dealing with them if the FCF changes or gets removed & you try to remove them.

If that doesn't sound like what you want, then use Appended Text.

Simple as that, painful as it might be.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.3.4 Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Now if you are using 3D PMI and you use append text, the downstream operations (CNC CMM) will not see this Feature Control Frame. So if you do use append text use with care.

Thanks Xwheelguy, that was what I was the answer I was looking for, whether I like it or not. Just sounds like there is not silver bullet solution that is fast and easy.

SDETERS: That is good to know. We are looking into transitioning into 3D PMI for some business units, that would be a problem.

Is Siemens Looking into fixing this? Has a PR been submitted? I have saw many cases and questions about this issue. It has been bothering us for years. I do not remember if we submitted a PR to GTAC about this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back