Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX10 flatten surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlis

Mechanical
Jan 8, 2015
LV
Hi, is there a way to flatten a face/surface in NX? SolidWorks has begun to offer this feature since 2014 and makes me wonder if NX is catching up to that.
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't tried that, but my guess is it might not be possible since SW asks for a linear edge to keep stationary when flattening. But it easily flattens anything else that complies with this rule of thumb by meshing the surface and then rolling the mesh down.

I think no part of a sphere surface can be flatten
without tearing up the surface

and also for any concave surface

may be that possible for only simple surfaces
like con surface and the likes

It is able to do it with complex surfaces too, it allows the mesh to strech and compress in these regions. The good thing about that is that I could use it to create the flat pattern of the parasolid file I have attached in my other thread (NX10 sheet metal puzzle) since the sheet metal application in SW was unable to produce such outcome. I was hoping I could at least use the same approach with NX. But I will have to take a look a the file you have attached there before that. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back