Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX12 adding templates subdirectory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVartusa

Mechanical
May 1, 2016
SI
This might be a trivial question but I can't seem to find a proper solution. I would like to add a subfolder to the UGII\templates folder as to not mix the templates that are already included, with my own. One solution I have found, is setting an environment varieable UGII_TEMPLATES_DIR, but that excludes all preinstalled templates. Is there a way to set the folder location in Customer Defaults and adding a "\" to the end so it searches the entire folder and its subfolders for templates?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can't specify a search folder as such.

To explain, the UGII_TEMPLATES_DIR is not for the template files (ie. NX part files), but the PAX files that define the options available in File -> New.
By defining that variable, you're telling NX to only load the PAX files that live in the folder defined by that variable.

The location for the actual part files/templates are then specified in the PAX file. In the example below cut from a model PAX file, the section in bold specifies the part to load & use as a template.

<PaletteEntry id="d1">
<References/>
<Presentation name="Model" description="NX Example with datum CSYS">
<PreviewImage type="UGPart" location="model_template.jpg"/>
</Presentation>
<ObjectData class="ModelTemplate">
<Filename>model-plain-1-inch-template.prt</Filename>
<Units>English</Units>
</ObjectData>
</PaletteEntry>

If you want to use subfolders, you could specify the full path to the file instead:

<Filename>c:\NXtemplates\model-plain-1-inch-template.prt</Filename>

It might be possible to use variables in the PAX, but I've never tested that.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4 to NX CR with almost every MR (18versions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back