Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NX12 B-surface issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

suddy

Automotive
Jul 4, 2020
IN
I'm a beginner in B-surface creation. I've been working on this part for a few days now and I am absolutely stumped. One surface or the other keeps warping around the cut-out. The warped surface shown in the image (attachment) is an intersection area of three different offset values on the B-side: 4.5mm, 5.5mm and 3mm. Can I get suggestions on how to build surfaces around this area? So far, I've been using a combination of Through curve mesh, Studio surface, Bridge surface, through curves; and in some trials, Fill Surface too to achieve at least tangential continuity.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bd7f9bae-dbb7-4db1-8b33-7f4563365523&file=Surface_warp.pptx
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Because its got different thicknesses in different places...? I don't know what you mean by "creating using a solid body". I can't just thicken it.

This looks like a training exercise for creating the "B" side of an injection molded part?

It's way out of my line of work... I do Pre-production sheet metal stamping tools and fixtures.
That said since they don't have to be an exact offset of the "A" side like a stamping is, couldn't you just make all new clean surfaces and use blends and such rather than a patchwork of what I call booger surfaces?

One thing a lot of part designers (plastic and sheet metal) don't think about is this... How is someone going to actually make this part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back