Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX1872 - Closing an assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenja824

Automotive
Nov 5, 2014
US
I cannot help but believe I must be doing something wrong because I cannot believe NX would be this ridiculous.

We have two of the same assemblies open, but one is a latter revision. What we try to do is open them both fully and then close the older one. That will automatically close all the common parts in the newer assembly, leaving only the changed parts open.

When I try to close the older assembly, it will always give me a message saying certain parts are modified (even though all I have done is open the files). When I close modified, it only closes the modified, leaving all others open still. So I finally closed assembly. When I expand the older assembly, there are many parts still open. I close all of those and expand them and there are more parts still open.

It seems ridiculous that I cannot just close assembly and have the entire assembly close even if it has been modified (somehow without doing anything to modify it).

My guess is there must be a setting that allows me to close all parts in a particular assembly even if they have been modified. Just to be clear, closing all parts would close both assemblies and the main file. I only want to close all parts in the older assembly.

What am I doing wrong?

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll just weigh in and say that I'm surprised you can open more than one rev of a part at a time. I didn't know you could do that. I suppose there must be a setting to allow that but, to be honest, I would think the risk of something getting messed up would be too great.

Has that ever worked in NX for you before?

Mike

Yes, I do it quite often. There is a setting in Customer Defaults that allows you to turn on the ability to have two different revisions of the same file open. I cannot remember where in customer defaults it is exactly.

Its not really dangerous because both revisions are released and we cannot make changes to them.

It can get confusing, as sometimes if you are not careful you can be looking at the older rev and make changes to your file according to the older one instead of the updated one.

This makes me realize I may not have clarified something in my original post right.

--------------

UPDATE FOR CLARIFICATION!!!

We have one file open and inside of that file we have the two different revisions of an assembly added as components. We update our drafting according to the latest assembly. So when we do an update, we add the new revision of the assembly and compare them and make the necessary changes. When we are done, we get rid of the older assembly.

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back