Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NX1953 - Flatten and Forming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenja824

Automotive
Nov 5, 2014
US
When flattening faces we first need to create linked exterior faces. Then we flatten those faces. However, we often run into something we have not been able to do and I was hoping maybe there is a way we just dont know.

Sometimes we would like to flatten two faces together, but keep them both as the primary faces.

Currently, you select the face you want to flatten and select the other faces in the "Select Objects" option. This option however only trims the outlines of the faces inside the primary face. Sometimes we would like to add a second face that the flattening feature will continue using as if it was part of the first face.

For example, if you have two brackets that are welded together. You cant make them all one linked exterior because they are two different bodies. Is there some way to select both linked exteriors to flatten them together on the same plane?

We considered the idea of sewing the linked exteriors but they never lay perfectly to share boundaries.

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you illustrate this somehow ?
maybe upload some illustration example ?

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

Sorry. It seems I havent been getting emails when people reply lately.

This is not a great example but it will do the job. In this image we have two products that overlap each other. Typically we would flatten the green part and select the yellow when adding objects. It will then flatten the green part and just give the trimmed edges of the yellow that cross the green. The dashed line represents a sealer bead in this image.

However, on occasion, quite often actually, there are cases where we need to show the entire face of both products. Currently to do this, we have to do a regular flatten. Then do a second flatten with the second part and move the two flat patterns to match correctly.

It would really be nice if there is a way to just extend the main faces we are flattening to include the yellow face as well so it will give the entire outline and not trim it off.

Often, a sealer bead will run along the flange of one part and continue on the flange of the part it overlaps. We need to show both flanges in the same flat pattern.

Capture_o2ghpy.png

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back