Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX2 - converting multiple sheets into a single sheet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebw

Marine/Ocean
Jan 13, 2005
TW
Hi,

I am running NX2 and need to convert multiple sheets into one single sheet that will behave as a single sheet after.

I tried sewing the sheets, but in CAM to create a tool path you can not select the SEW as one single sheet.

Also I tried to subtract / intersect the sheets with a block.

The result remains the same, the solid / sheets do not behave as a single sheet.

Is there a soltuion to this ?

Thanks,

Sebastian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe try Insert>Combine<Join Face after ewing. It works in 7.5, it's been a while since I used NX2. Menu structure/syntax may be different.

NX2 was way before my time, but if I was doing this now I'd go Edit > Feature > Remove Parameters to turn the original sheets and their sew operations into one resultant Body, is there an NX2 equivalent of this?

It will mean that you can't go back and edit the Sews, but as long as that's ok you should end up with a single sheet body.

HTH,

Jon

JHTH
NX 7.5.5 + TC 8.3.2.2

Unless something has dramatically changed with the CAM module since then there should be absolutely no problem with generating a tool path on a surface composed of multiple sheets. Exactly which type of path are you trying to create and why is it a problem to select both sheets?

Join face might work for you if the two sheets truly do form a continuous face with matching UV curves. I have found this to be by far the exception rather than the rule in my work but you might have better luck depending on the geometry.

If join face doesn't work, and you really do need one single sheet, you will need to extract UV curves from the existing sheets, chop them back a bit from the intersection, create bridge curves to span the intersection, and then create a new sheet from the modified curves. The number of curves you will need will depend on how complex the surface is and how closely you need to duplicate the original sheets.

Unless you are trying to do something that is pretty out of the ordinary, or are trying to develop some type of automation that depends on having a single sheet, I think the chances are about 99% that CAM will do everything you need without any further work on your sheets.

Hope that helps.

NX 7.5.4, NX 8.0.1.5
Tecnomatix Quality 8.0.1.3
PC-DMIS 2011 MR1

While "Remove Parameters" can be useful, it will not change anything about the sheet bodies themselves. What it will do is remove the reference to the original, individual sheets. Perhaps this is what you are seeing? When you have multiple sheets that have been sewn together you have several different ways that they can be selected. You can still select each sheet as an individual and you can also select the "Sew" feature as a single unit, which will select all sheets included in that sew operation.

Again, though, this is just selection intent stuff. It should have no effect at all on how the CAM module creates a path.

NX 7.5.4, NX 8.0.1.5
PC-DMIS 2011 MR1

Thanks for the quick responses !
Mmauldin: Unfortunately NX2 does not have the Join Face command after SEW in the SEW options.
Jon: I removed the parameters from the SEW, but when I select the sheet as a general object, it actually only selects each individual sheet….same behavior as before.
DaSalo: The surface is not really complex – it is a deck of a surfboard – and I am able to create a toolpath with the toll axis being Z.
But I need the tool axis to be Y as I want to cut the deck with a disc, instead of a bull nose cutter.
And I would like to use, FIXED CONTOUR with the Surface Area Drive method.
Here is where the actual problem starts, as I cannot select the sheets/surfaces for the drive geometry – I get the error message:
Cannot build Grid: Drive Geometry will be erased
Note: Grid may work if chaing tolerance is changed
Back out of edit and got to preferences – Selection.

Please see the uploaded pic to give you an idea of what I am looking for.

Hi Jerry,

I checked that thread prior to my post...unfortnatyl it does not solve the problem...

I found the join face command under edit face menue, but unfortunatly it results only in error messages....

The only function I think would do what you are looking for would be "quilt'. It is not intuitive and easy to do but it creates single face/sheet from multiple sheets.

NX3 + TC9

Wacio, yes …I tried that also already, but could not get it to work…have been reading about it in the forum as well…is there a hint to get it working ?

Found this in another thread:

"NX-2 and NX-3 The Join Faces command works very well for a range of simple examples and can be found under Edit>Face>Join Face. It appears to require only one selection pick in most cases so I can see why it is favored." - Hudson888

Found it here:
Again, it's been a while since I have used NX2, so I'm not sure if this is applicable or not or whether it behaves as it does in NX7.5.

Thanks mmauldin....

Jerry, well actuall the surfaces are mirrored...problem I guess is that you, can not sew into solid then...only if I create another surface to close that half...
Tried already just sewing one side and then tried all of the above...also not really with success.

I think you are looking at this backwards. You might want to spend some more time learning about the surface area operation and how it expects the surfaces to be selected. A much easier solution in this case is actually to create more surfaces, but in a regular, grided, pattern.

Surface area must have an evenly grided collection of surfaces or it will fail every time. You can't select 1 surface, then 3 in the next row, then 2 in the next row. You must have 2, then 2, then 2, then 2. Or something regular like that. I was able to generate all kinds of paths with your geometry by simply using projected curves and the "Divide Face" tool to slice your surfaces up into an even grid.

The tail and tip get difficult because you have 4 sided surfaces in the center converging into 3 sided at the tip, and into a kind of six sided at the tail. This is very difficult geometry for a CAM system to deal with and is definitely something to stay away from when creating your model if there is any way around it. Try to keep your surfaces regular. That will get you much further than just trying to create fewer of them.

The best tool for your particular model if you want to do the least amount of manipulation is "Streamline". You don't have this in NX2 and if you are doing this kind of work as a serious business it will pay off for you to pony up the money and upgrade to NX8.

Attached are a couple of images of paths created with Streamline. The only modifications to your model are the addition of a couple face divisions near the tail so I could better isolate that geometry. Less than 5 operations in the feature tree and less than 5 minutes of time in modeling.

Hope that helps.

NX 7.5.4, NX 8.0.1.5
PC-DMIS 2011 MR1

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=169b9cda-7aba-4bf7-af53-4a103c2c0152&file=streamline_3.jpg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back