Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

nx2306 - Family Parts _issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenja824

Automotive
Nov 5, 2014
US
When I am trying to create a very simple Family part with only two children, the spreadsheet will start giving me errors.... (after I click on "Create Family Parts".

Error....
"Microsoft Excel ia waiting for another application to complete an OLE action."

It gives me this error over and over and over

If I click on NX and not the excel spreadsheet, it gives me another error
"Error Processing menu callback."

--------

My guess is the OLE action is because the other error is already there hiding behind the spreadsheet and it is brought to the front when I click the NX.

Can someone tell me why I would the error processing menu callback?

We did just update NX in the last couple weeks. I believe I remember there being a place where I need to tell NX to use Excel. Could this be the problem? Where is that setting?

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So in digging in, I think I found the issue. The Family Part has two bodies inside it. Both are created by sketches. I found if I eliminate the sketches and have just solid bodies, I can create family members.

Unfortunately I am being told currently that the customer requires sketches.

This leads me to two main questions....

1) Is there a trick to creating family parts if sketches are involved?

2) Something that would fix this but I cannot remember how to do it. If we kept the different members as individual files and create a family part that simply calls the different files. I cannot remember how to get a family part to call files from another folder. I thought I have done it before. Am I mistaken?

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

If I can recall back that far (eight+ years), when you define what's included in the 'Family Part', whatever is selected will be presented when you add the part to the working part file. So if you want the sketch to be included and available, it has to be selected when the 'Family Part' is defined. If you don't select the Sketch, then only the Body will be included and it can't be changed. If the Sketch was included, then it should be available to edit the 'Family Part' in the working Part file.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

No, you should investigate the NX-Excel connection, not the content of the part.
We have partfamilies with multi bodies and multi sketches. All fine.
Try reinstalling Excel. ( add remove programs - Repair.)

John's memory is correct but to a different feature, its not part families. A part family member is a clone of the PF master part, it can be updated from the master and is because of this readonly. All content in the PF master/template is cloned into the PF member.

Part families have evolved over the years, there is now a NX table editor by which you can handle the PF members from the template part without Excel.
Way faster than NX+Excel.

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back