Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX3 and Postsctrip to file

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikrayg

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2004
US
Aaahh!!! Help!
Does anyone know how to plot a simple postscript file to file?
I've got it setup in "utilities; Printer Administration" to create a "+HP:HP Postscript Multi-Bin Generic" file, and when plotting a single sheet there is an option for sending to a file... but nothing happens. What gives? NX3's new plotting setup seemed promising at first since NX2 was so clunky.
Any help is appreciated.
Craig

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, it is always helpful if you specify the O/S you're using (UNIX or Windows).

When you press the Print button are you being prompted for the .ps file save location? If not, then you're not selecting the right choices to plot to file or your model is not correct. You want to select the plot icon, then from the plot dialog, set your line weight preferences (if any) and then hit the plot button. After that, the NX Print dialog appears. Under the Print tab, select the printer from the pulldown list and then user Output Options, select Print to File (note, if your printer/plotter supports HPGL, then you'll need 2 different printers, one for actual printing/plotting and one for Postscript file creation). Next, go down to the Print Layout tab and set your options. I recommend going through all the tabs and making one final check to see everything is set the way you want. When finished, click on the Queue tab then hit the Print button to watch the job go through the motions. Do NOT Cancel out of the NX Print dialog until you see the job is listed as DONE under the Queue tab.

It appears you used the correct model for your printer/plotter. Did you change the model in any way? If so, did you save it after modifying it? Is the model you're using still set for Postscript Level 2? Have you done a search on your local hard drive(s) for all .ps files (i.e. search for "*.ps" minus the quotes if on Windows)? That will tell you where the .ps files are going. Did you modify the HP Generic model at all? Have you watched your Queue to see that the job is even processing and finishing?

Unless you've changed something the .ps file creation should be very straight forward.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Typo....

"Under the Print tab, select the printer from the pulldown list and then user Output Options..."

should be this:

"....the pulldown list and then under Output Options..."

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Great! Thanks for the tips. I didn't notice the Queue tab before. Searching for the *.ps worked too, I found my files in random folders inside /temp/. There's no way to specify a particular I take it. When I plot a single sheet and use the Output Option Print to File it still sends the file to the /temp/ folder (if this did work it wouldn't be an option for multi sheet plotting). What are all the LP/Queue, Render File then Execute Program etc. printer options in the Printer Administration window do? I'm using Windows.
Thanks,
Craig

Render File then Execute is for things like automatic PDF creation for something like Adobe Distiller and watched folders, where you'd output a .ps file then Distiller would automatically create a PDF from it. I don't mess around with that sort of automation under most circumstances.

I used the same model you chose, only changing the paper sizes available and mine is outputting .ps files just fine. Just make sure you're getting the prompt for saving the .ps file and then rename it to something else and change the save location to where you want.

If you can't get it figured out, call GTAC (800)955-0000.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

You can tweak a little bit where you want your .ps files created.See ugii_env.dat and this enviroment variable inside it : UGII_SDI_BPS_JOBS_DIR=${UGII_TMP_DIR}\bps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back