Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX4-Dynamic Deviation Gauge for Styled Blend 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TakTak

Industrial
Apr 8, 2005
GB
Hi, an annoyance...

Quite often I need to create surfaces which conform to strict guidelines in certain areas, and not in others...I use the below process which usually works great and gives top notch surfaces...

In NX3 this worked fine:
- Create a master surface which will then be used as a reference surface for deviation gauge.
- Create a styled blend.
- Use deviation gauge to show the deviation of the styled blend from the reference surface.
- edit the styled blend - the deviation gauge would dynamically update as I moved the handles allowing me to see the changes 'live'.

NX4:
- When I go back into the styled blend, the deviation gauge disapears therefore making dynamic updates impossible.

Arrggghhh! Probably just doing something differently as I haven't needed styled blend for a while...anyone any ideas?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I normally do not use Deviation Gages, but I tried assigning one per your steps above and the Deviation Gage remained visible throughtout Editing of the Styled Blend.

It might be worth checking your Modeling Preferences (Preferences -> Modeling) and under the General tab, there is a setting for Dynamic Update. See if that is set to Continuous or not.

Be sure you're not confusing the Deviation Gage with Section Analysis.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Thanks Tim,

This didn't make a noticeable difference, however, the below did..so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

In modelling preferences I had 'edit with rollback after double click' checked.(not sure why) Uncheck this and voila!, the deviation gauge now updates!

Thanks for your help!

Andy

Yes, 'Edit with Rollback' it is ON by default in NX 4, but it can be set to OFF if you so desire, or probably more usable in this case, the older style 'Edit Parameters' (without roll-back) can be invoked instead. Just select the feature to be edited and press MB3 and select the option (not in bold font) 'Edit Parameters'. Or if you want to change the double-click default back to the older 'Edit Parameters' for the current session (does NOT require that you have to change the Customer Default and restart) just go to Preferences/Modeling... and toggle off the 'Edit with Roolback' option.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product "Evangelist"
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

John,

If the Deviation Gage is set up BEFORE the Styled Blend, why wouldn't the Gage dynamically update when using Edit with Rollback? I would think either method (Edit Parameters or Edit with Rollback) would allow for dynamic updating of the Deviation Gage. Seems a bit inconsistent to me unless I'm missing something here...

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

I think I would need to see an example, because it depends on what features are being edited versus which objects were the gauge being applied to.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product "Evangelist"
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back