Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX5 CAM Missing drive method

Status
Not open for further replies.

realmagicracer

Aerospace
Jan 3, 2008
BG
I follow NX5 CAST steps in "Surface Area Cutting".
And I see the following instructions:
Click Create Operation .

Select mill_multi-axis from the Type list.

Click VARIABLE_CONTOUR .

Specify the following parent groups.

Program

Tool
EM-1.0_0

Geometry
WORKPIECE

Method
MILL_FINISH

Type in NORMAL_DRIVE as the name.

Click OK.
This is OK. But here I see a problem:
Under Drive Method switch the method to Surface Area.

Click Specify Drive Geometry .
There isn't that kind of drive method. You can see the applied picture. NX license is absolutely LEGAL!
Later I've checked the same strategy in NX4 and I see that there is Surface Area Drive Method.

NX5.0.2mp2
NX4.0.3

Regards: Dimo Urumov
Aircraft Engineer
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you very much for the screen shots Dimo. Very interesting omission.......not having variable_contour/surface area drive would be a show-stopper here in NX4 land. Anxiously awaiting an explanation for this omission..

Some other drive methods missing from NX5:

1.) Undefined --aptly named....what does it do?
2.) curve/point --for when you want a multi-axis flow cut?
3.) spiral --there must be a use for this one
4.) tool path --wha? When would one use this?
5.) radial cut --I have used this before
6.) user function --yeah, right.....

If this manufacturing module really is evolving into something better, then where is the variable_axis/flow cut, and especially the variable_axis/area milling people have been asking for for quite some time?

Hair's getting gray waiting,
capnhook

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

It must be an install issue...

My NX5 has under Variable Contour (which is of course included):

Undefined
Curve/Point
Spiral
Boundary
Surface Area
Streamline (very cool new feature)
Tool Path
Radial Cut
Countour Profile
User Defined

It's all there - and more

--
Bill

Sorry. I haven't. :(
I didn't called to GTAC because the company that I work for, have stoped the support. Because the NX-provider wasn't quite correct.
But I will try it in NX 6.0.0.24 later this week and I will post what's the deal.

Aircraft Engineer
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

"Sorry. I haven't. :(
I didn't called to GTAC because the company that I work for, have stoped the support. Because the NX-provider wasn't quite correct.
But I will try it in NX 6.0.0.24 later this week and I will post what's the deal."

If you don't have support, how do you have 6.0....? Our company is behind in payments so we don't have support or access to 6.

So... Most times this is an issue with you Licensing Tool and Selected Bundles. Most "non-supported" licenses have corrupt or non-working features. Sounds like your license file is one of them. Presure your company to pony up.

--
Bill

It's simple. The provider installed the license server and 1 workstation. Then he gave us the installation DVD and we installed the others.
In case of problem we call to them and receive an answer - "read the documentation". So this is the actual support here. We have paid for NX5 support (36 000 euro/year), but there was no support. NX6 is the same but we didn't pay for support.

Welcome to Bulgaria. Land of unlimited possibilities.
[noevil]

So Bill. As far as I can understand the problem is not in the license, but in installation media. The copy is some kind of demo, isn't it?
The installation DVD has NX5.0.0.25. Then we have installed update 5.0.2.
Obviously I'm not the only one having that problem. So "the problem is not in my TV". The software is buggy.

Aircraft Engineer
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Hello, I'm new in this whit NX CAM, somebody have a Tutorial or documentacion about de NX CAM, i'm alredy use SURFCAM but I want to try NX looks a very good program.

Please contact me for any information.

thank you.

atte. israelorama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back