Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX6: How to hide centerline of a coil in an assembly drawing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gruenhir

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2019
US
Hello -- I have a large assembly drawing with about 80 components in it. One of these is a tightly coiled spring. In the model, the 'centerline' of the wire that coils into the spring shape does NOT show. However, in drafting view suddenly it appears. I cannot select it or right click on it. The only way to make it go away is to hide "curves" under "Show and Hide", but this hides ALL the curves, even when I make that spring the work part. (This is not an ideal solution anyway, as it hides all the curves of the spring, not just the centerline.) I'm at a loss as to how to get this to disappear -- I am used to Solidworks' ability to access pretty much everything from the feature tree. Guidance would be great!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you try View Dependent Editing, and use erase objects ?
Do not use Hide here. There are several reasons.
NX6 is 10 years old, so it is hard to guide you thru the menu from my end.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX11

Jerry -- that worked! Took just a few seconds to locate, so for anyone else who may come across this looking for the solution... it's Edit > View > View Dependent Edit. Select the desired view then edit as necessary.

Thanks Jerry!

The "visible in view" command is also an option, but can get confusing for new (and veteran!) users. If you don't want the curve to show up in any drawing views, it would be easier to open the spring model and remove the curve from the reference set used on the drawing. This assumes that you have write access on the spring model, though...

www.nxjournaling.com

Yes, based on what he wrote the centerline appears to be in a different layer than the coils, so visible in view is a good way to go, but erasing it was the simplest route to take, and easiest to explain, especially in such an old version of NX.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back