Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nx6 llooonnnngggg start up time

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwingfan01

Automotive
Jan 6, 2009
US
Anyway to get nx6 to start quicker. It will take over 5 minutes first thing in the morning and if we reboot the system it can take over 10 minutes to start on our xp machines. On our w7 machines it is still over 5 minutes for the first start of the day/after system reboot. Just seems odd that it is only the first start of the day, after that we can shut it down and start it up as many times as we want and it is running in under a minute.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would recommend that after you first install any major release of NX, such when installing NX 6.0.0.x or NX 7.0.0.x, that you perform a full defragmentation of the hard drive where NX was installed. The performance of the initial (ie. cold) start-up of any program as large and as complex as NX can be very dependent on the extent to which your hard drive is fragmented.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

ok I'll give that a try on our XP machines. The w7 machines are all new builds so there shouldn't be an issue with a fragged drive.

Thank you

I had this problem once. Launch NX, wait... wait... open task manager and verifed that ugraf.exe is running, wait some more... then finally the splash screen and the program opened. Then everything ran normally. I reported the problem to our license admin and he restarted the license daemons or something like that and the problem went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back