Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX6 Toolbar Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwingfan01

Automotive
Jan 6, 2009
US
I wish to migrate our toolbar setup to multiple computers (after we finish building them and loading software)so that we have a uniform look throughout the office and any of our designers can sit at any station and not be lost.

Is there a way to export/import or copy/paste files so that I do not have to do this manually on 5 machines and 4 different in program applications?

If it is a file that needs to be copy/pasted which NX folder will it be in.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, the file that you're looking for is named 'user.mtx' and it can be found at...

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Unigraphics Solutions\<NX version>...

Simply copy this file to this same location on all your systems and they will at least all start out the same. Of course, any subsequent changes made by that station's user, whether it's a simple hiding or unhiding of a toolbar icon, or a more signification modification done using Customize, will be saved in this same file. Also note that in the above location, if the user creates a user-defined Role, that it will also be saved in the same location above inside a folder named 'roles'.

Anyway, this should get you what you're looking for.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I have a similar question.
We have 30+ seats of NX6 and I would like to roll out a custom menu item with a few commands (pointing to journal files and grip files) without messing up the user's custom layout.

I think I can just have them install my .mtx file but that would give them my layout, correct? I would like to preserve whatever layout they have customized for themselves and just add a menu item. I tried recording a journal that the other users could run to automate the toolbar customization, but that didn't work.

Thanks John that is what i needed to know. I'll get that file off a current machine and save it on the server in our standards area.

Thanks again.

I've been poking around the user.mtx file, it appears to be a plain text xml file. If I write a script to add the entries from my file to theirs (in the right section of course), will their menu and/or toolbar update (after a restart of NX)?

I had some time today to look into this a little bit more. Each 'action name' seems to have its own ID number attached to it such as:
Code:
<Action name="USRCMD_01_27_2010_09_22_18_1121242845"
The first part appears to be a date and time stamp, and then there is a 9 or 10 digit number following. Is there some significance encoded in this number or is it enough that each ID number be unique?

In talking to our User Interface people (although the guy ultimately responsible for this particular issue is on vacation this week and next) the consensus is that it could potentially cause problems if you tried to simply cut and paste these 'action' strings from one .mtx file to another. The safest bet is to try and establish a baseline with your initial set of 'standard actions' already customized and in place, and offer THAT file as the starting point for your users who can then subsequently add their own changes and personal customizations to. Granted, this will mean that later on, if a new 'standard action' is adopted, you will either have to force your users to start over with a new baseline or you will have to manually define the new 'standard action' for EACH workstation.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back