Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX7.5... How would i be able to model a representation of twisted acrylic tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bengstudent

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2012
GB
Not as weird as it seems, I promise...

Basically, for this years project at uni, I'm starting some CFD validation using NX. (And Ansys)

Using the flowbench, smoke, some sensors and some acrylic tube I'm trying to model basic port geometry and validate NX's cfd solver. As part of this im trying to model various restrictors, curves, angles and blockages... But for part of this I wanted to see how NX deals with more complex airflow... To do that I wanted to basically... Heat some of the acrylic tube, and while clamping the bottom, manually twist the top, causing it to make a kind of thread over the heated part... Hopefully to create a swirling airflow... Something like this...
But I have no idea how to model this in NX. So can anyone suggest a place to start, or anything?

The links below should give you an idea of what im talking about on the whole, if i didnt explain my idea well... Which is entirely possible ;o)

An info greatly appreciated....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I get the feeling that you're a student and that this request is with respect to some sort of classroom assignment. While I would love to help you out, if my above suspicions are correct, I cannot since that is strictly forbidden here at the Eng-Tips Forums.

So be honest now, are my suspicions correct?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hahaha... Its no assignment, I dont actually start back till Oct... But I can see where youre coming from. Its a project im running to validate some work I want to do to a VFR750 head (granted, in uni... but not as part of any assignment). I believe we DO get a cad assignment this year, but its not even remotely associated. I dont need help with the CFD, just getting the model I would like.

If its a question of ethics, Im sure I could get the course director to clear it for us if thats of any help?

Also if it helps... My modeling skills arent completely useless, It's just that this specific technique is lost on me....

Does that help clear it up?[rednose]

if its an issue, I really dont mind getting 'me boss to clear it up... I dont want anyone thinking im trying to cheat, and you guys obviously want to make sure everythings profecional.....

You mean something like this:

Twisted-Tube.png

Part file attached below.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back