Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX7.5 to Catia V5 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillBailey

Automotive
Dec 12, 2012
US
I'm trying to export a 2D NX7.5 file as a .DWG:

When the conversion is done, and I open the file in Catia, the view is rotated so all I see are points where the lines end. What can be done to rotate the view in NX7.5 so I can view it in Catia? I have created new views, and camera settings but can't seem to open it up in Catia V5, any advice will be helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If/when I have issues with the dxf/dwg settings, my fallback method is as follows:
[ol 1]
[li]Export a .cgm file of the drawing[/li]
[li]Start a new file, import the cgm[/li]
[li]Replace the modeling view to TOP canned view[/li]
[li]From this file (modeling application, top view) export the dxf/dwg[/li]
[/ol]

This works most of the time. Depending on the importing application, you may have to try other views (right, left, etc) to get what you want.

www.nxjournaling.com

I don't recall having a need to export from both drafting and modeling simultaneously, so I can't give any tried and true advice on the subject. My initial thought was to use 2D exchange, but on further investigation it appears that exporting from modeling or drafting is an exclusive choice. A straight dxf/dwg export looks like it will allow exporting both modeling and drafting, so I'd try that first. Perhaps someone with recent experience in this matter will be able to give some useful specifics.

www.nxjournaling.com

Although starting NX8.5 a new dedicated utility is introduced for dxf/dwg export AUTOCAD DXF/DWG export (which i feel is more robust)....
but since you have the issue raised for NX7.5 so this might be something worth trying:-
(a) Step 1: flatten the drafting : Export /2d exchange (and choose the settings as per the image attached).
(b) Step 2: open the result of step 1st :the result of step one will be a flattened .prt which when opened will give you a drafting only (nothing inside the model)
(c) Step 3 :Export as dwg :Now again open the 2d xchange and this time export this drawing sheet as a dwg format.
Hopefully this should give a better result.
Best Regards
Kapil Sharma

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=18c82285-e4fb-49da-9a3b-92efcc0f0c4c&file=2d-exchange.jpg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back