Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX7.5 Updating while saving

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexfly

Automotive
Dec 27, 2009
US
Hi. I am noticing something that I don't think was happening on older versions of NX. On 7.5 when I open components and subassemblies and then do some work, I go to do a save all and it looks like a lot of updating is going on before it actually begins the save. My Assembly should already be up to date other than effected components that were changed. Once the new session is all done updating and saving, it starts behaving more like what I am used to.

Is there a setting somewhere that controls this. I thought it should only update things that were changed and it seems like it is updating everything that is open even if it was not changed.

I did a search and did not see anything like this.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you refile your parts when you upgraded to NX 7.5? If not, NX will update your files and save them in the new internal format.

I would suggest looking into the 'refile' utility that is provided with each new version of NX (the help file has a description and examples). If you want your existing files to take full advantage of new features (eg lightweight bodies in assemblies) this is the route to go. The refile process will take some time, set it up to run overnight or over a weekend (or multiple nights/weekends as need be).

As cowski has already alluded to, particularly for NX 7.5, performing a 'refile' is highly recommended. This is due to several issues, not the least of which is the creation and saving of lightweight representations for every component part in your assembly. This is something which you have little control over and must be done at least once and then saved, most easily accomplished using the 'refile' utility.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

It's in the UGII folder where NX was installed. To see what all of the options are which can be used when running 'refile_part.exe', just execute it from a command prompt window first, without any options set, and you will automatically get a list of the various options and program modifiers (you can find this same list of options by simply going to NX Help and searching on 'refile').

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Also, there is a different version of the program if you are running teamcenter. Something like 'refile_part_managed.exe' or similar. If you need that version, I think it is found in one of the TC install directories (don't remember where exactly offhand).

It is recommended anytime you upgrade. It was strongly recommended for 7.5 due to changes with lightweight representations in assemblies.

As a general practice, I only ran the refile utility on folders of our standard parts. Since those parts are marked as read-only to the users, this would prevent NX from doing an on-the-fly conversion and marking the file as modified. Modified files in your assembly structure that fail to save can cause the overall assembly to fail to save, too.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back