NX7.5 WCS ORIENT to Current WCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuleszajmk

Automotive
Nov 7, 2010
US
Hi All,

I must say NX7.5 really sucks! 20 years working on this software and I am still tring to figure out how to use it.

How would one snap the WCS to an existing one?
And Then how would you set the view to look down the Z axis?

Sorry for venting, but this is rediculas.

Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's odd that you say that you've used "this software" for 20 years yet the way in which you accomplish what you're asking for has been virtually unchanged since at least UG V17.0, which was released nearly 13 years ago.

But just in case, the procedure to move the current WCS to an existing CSYS is to go to...

Format -> WCS -> Orient...

...and select the 'Type' option 'Offset CSYS' and select the existing CSYS of interest and hit OK.

That being said, since NX 6.0 (including NX 7.5), all you have to do is select the CSYS of interest, press MB3 and select the 'Set WCS to Datum CSYS' option and you're there instantly.

As to how you can orient the display so that it's normal to the Z-Axis, the steps are almost the same...

View -> Operation -> Orient...

...and again select the 'Type' option 'Offset CSYS' and the select the existing CSYS of choice and hit OK.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

OH, and there's even a short-cut which will orient the display normal to the Z-Axis of a Datum CSYS. Just select the X-Y Datum Plane of the CSYS of interest and then press the F8 key.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

And Then how would you set the view to look down the Z axis?

In addition to what John said, there is also View -> Operation -> Set view to WCS. It saves a few clicks when going into the view orient menu. It comes in handy and you can add it to a toolbar for even easier access.

www.nxjournaling.com

Those who enjoy it, enjoy it!
Those who find it trying to move more to parametric. I think find it lagging behind and more volatile. I do like no history. I've always used macros and grips to accomplish the laborious selections filtering required, so with the extra picks added to 7.5, it does suck, sorry. It is going the wrong way to expedite CAD.Regards,

sounds like its time to give up, after 20 years if you dont get it you probably wont in another 20, good try at it though. Do let us know what you find better.
regards.

It is way past that time, but have a family to support, I enjoy Catia, very logical and straight forward. Oh I did figure it out in about a minute after the initial post, when I saw the WCS selection! Just did not feel like updating the post. Gives you all a chance to opine!

Just my 2 cents but I have previously requested an enhancement that the F8 key would work for the current WCS and not the global CSYS.
I-Deas had this functionality, F4 would snap the view to the nearest plane or iso view.

Regards
Jurgen

Sorry I made a slight mistake in my last post.
I-Deas had a work plane that you could move around and then the F4 key snapped to views relative to it and not a CSYS.

Jurgen,
You can also select a plane or planar face, then when you press F8 it will orient the view to your selection even if it is not parallel to a CSYS (also works in an assembly context if the geometry is fully loaded).

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back