Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX8.5 Custom Symbols and Attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCADPOPro

Aerospace
Aug 15, 2014
US
Hello All,

Has anyone tried using Custom Symbols that have attributes (Properties) in them? Here is what I have. I have a GRIP program that looks for attributes on race tracks and parallelograms. This program builds a table with the zone locations based on attributes that are assigned to the symbol. I am looking to switch over to using custom symbols and I created new symbols with the needed attributes assigned to them. The problem is when I drag them from the resource bar, all of the attributes are removed. Is there a setting or something that I am missing that would keep the attributes on the symbol?

I have also discovered that if text is used in a symbol, it does not retain it's style settings, of which character height is of importance. Everytime a symbol is placed, it defaults back to the Annotation preferences set in the part you are placing it in. Is there a way to have the text retain it's style settings.

Thanks in advance,

Richard Andrew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The issue is that when you create the custom symbol, NX exports that symbol into a new partfile, ( the ".sym.prt") and since that partfile doesn't have these attributes which the text is mapped to, the mapping "dies".
But, you can open the .sym.prt and 1) create the needed attributes and 2) edit the textobjects which belongs to the symbol such that they again map to the attribute.

The style settings is a customer default setting, in the bottom of that custom symbol dialog there is the options Annotation preferences and Geometry prferences : "use definition" or "use current".
you can set the default for these 2 in the customer defaults.
The use definition is the one you want.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back