Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[NX8] Assembly weight in drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubalibre000

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2006
IT
Hi,
whit NX8 we can add a weight part property linked to the part weight that we can use in the drafting.
If I want to show the assembly weight in drafting, in the assembly file I can't add the weight property.
Someone know a workaround or a solution ?

Thank you...

Using NX 7.0.1.7 MP3 and TC8.1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Weight Management, which is the basis for the computing and saving the Weight of part models, does not save the value for an Assembly in a manner where it can be used by the new Weight Attributes. At the moment, there's no known workaround short of writing a custom application.

That being said, we recommend that you contact GTAC and have them open an ER (Enhancement Request) asking that Weight Management be enhanced to support Assemblies in the same manner in which individual Components are handled.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

The development team sometimes forgets about other parts of the application that may need the same data. This isn't the first time this has happened. At V14, they developed a new hole defintion routine that included the haole callout for threaded holes. The only problem was they forgot to put the data in a location in the database where the drafting module could use the hole callout and put it on the drawing.
The assembly weight module sounds like the same situation. It may take a few releases to get the ER through. The reason it will be an ER is because the system works as designed. They just forgot about other users of their neat weight module. The fact that they caught it for detail parts and not assemblies, may get it implemented by NX9.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I am too keenly waiting for this thing, in fact I was able to duplicated an ER request based on some previous one. I did this when we were using NX5 now its NX8 and still same problem! wired :(

Even more annoying is that the information we are looking for (combined mass of assembly and sub-assemblies) are available in assembly navigator but we cannot fetch it to part list.

God knows when this will be solved.

Yes, but it's not what we really need. Please keep your cards and letters (ER's) coming as we are looking at this issue, but we need to make sure that it gets assigned the appropriate priority and USER input is the most effective way to accomplish that.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi Jhon,

Thanks for understanding the requirement, apart from things that is not available can you tell us what was the reason behind not allowing combined mass (sub assembly) in part list? May be this will give some direction to us, to handle masses in different way.

Yes Loki you have multiple workaround please search few old posts to deal with this kind of requirements. In fact I liked them but workarounds are useful for non-extensive and non-dynamic assemblies. The real requirement is still open.

Regards :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back