Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX9 - Assembly label

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenja824

Automotive
Nov 5, 2014
US
We have a button (I believe from GM) that is called ASSEMBLY LABELS. What it does is if you have an assembly open and on the drafting side need to label all of the component, it will allow you to select a component and it will automatically attach itself to particular attributes of that component.

I know how to create a note and attach it to a component's attributes, but it would be a chore to do this to 30+ components. Unfortunately for a new job, we need to have it attach to different attributes than the GM button does. To make things worse, I cannot find where the files are that GMs button runs through, so I cant see if I can copy it and manipulate it to work.

Does anyone know of a way to do this, or have VB code that will do this automatically?

GM's labeller worked like this...
Once the program was running, we would Select a component, select where the label would be placed on the sheet, then select where the liter would attach to the component. The note would then appear with the part name for whatever component we had picked. ..... Now they want...

DB_Part_Name \ DB_Part_Rev
x.xxMM BEAD
LENGTH: xxMM

If nothing else, would anyone know where the standard area for GM's KBTD GPDL Toolkit is kept?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

is what you want to show in a sheet draft containing several drawings names for each drawing?
if yes then you can >
in the part navigator *drafting* you can see the drawing that exist in this sheet ,right click and rename it as you want the name to be then go to the settings in drawing boundry and in base/Drawing -show Lebel ,and you can choose the place of the name.

thanks.

Hi NXProp. Thanks for replying. I will try to explain it differently...... Imagine a house fan. You would have a Base Stand, Shaft, Motor Compartment, Blades and Fan Guard. I am sure there are many more parts but this will suffice. On one of the drafting sheets, we would show an ISO (3d) view of the entire fan and we would want to label each part. Each of those parts is a separate component/child to the assembly. The Blades will have its own attributes (name,stock size, etc...), the base will have its own and so on. So on the drafting sheet where we show an iso view of the entire fan, we need to place notes that connect to each component and reads certain attributes to the component it is connected to.

I have learned from here that this is possible by changing the category of the note from Drafting to Relationships, and selecting the Insert Object Attribute. Unfortunately it is a bit of a tedious process to do this to each label one at a time if you have a lot of components and we have a group of people here who have never needed to use unigraphics for their job who are now having to do so.

GM gave us a toolkit that had a program that will do this with ease. We simply select the component from the ISO view or navigator, select on the sheet where we wont to place the note, then connect the liter to the component in the ISO view. Unfortunately, for this new work this one group is doing, it needs to read different attributes.

If I can find where the GM toolkit is kept, I may be able to copy and manipulate it, but most of their stuff is using DLL files and that makes it a hard task to do.

Presently I am reading tutorials on VB code and waiting for the IT person to get back to help me download Visual Studio (I think is the program I need) but if anyone has code similar to this already it would help immensely.

Do you want to read multiple attributes from each component and display their value in the same label?
Ie:
Supplier= Siemens
PN=123456
Rev=02
color=Green.

the label :
Siemens #123456/02 Green. ?

Regards,
Tomas

Actually the boss is pretty specific. (arent they always lol) He wants this as the generic label for components (which in this case are all sealer beads).

DB_PART_NAME \ DB_PART_REV
x.xxMM BEAD
LENGTH: xxxxMM

These two are attributes on the component.
DB_PART_NAME
DB_PART_REV

The xxx places in the note will be something the users will have to change manually.

NOTE: This next part is just my mind thinking of other possibilities. Not what I am asking for unless someone knows how to. lol

Now, I dont think this is possible, maybe it is.... I have taken larger notes before and made them symbols out of multiple notes. In this case I would have had three different notes together. One main note and then the two xxx parts of this note would have been separate notes. Then I would have made them all into one symbol where the xxxx notes were the only parts a user could manipulate. Then I would place the note on a part file of its own to be imported when needed. ..... Is it possible to import a partfile with a symbol on it, and have the symbol connect to the components attributes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back